Would you trust this nutritional label?

Options
Flopoe22
Flopoe22 Posts: 5 Member
Would you trust this nutritional label or is it too good to be true? They're my favourite corn chips!36lrvr44nelq.jpeg

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Did you weigh out 87 grams of chips to see how much it is? It could be true.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    The calories from fat, carbs and protein add up to 92.5.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Honestly, and in the absence of more information, no I don't think I would. 87g is just over 3 ounces. Most chips are ~140 cal per ounce. What are the ingredients?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

could be net carbs minus fiber from the carbs, then you get 84
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »

could be net carbs minus fiber from the carbs, then you get 84

Factor in that they round off, and that they're allowed a margin of error: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10025962/calories-and-macros-not-adding-up-heres-probably-why/p1
  • Kimmotion5783
    Kimmotion5783 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Not sure I would completely trust this label. The information seems to be missing and possibly incorrect- no sodium whatsoever? In tortilla chips?! I dunno... I could see there being *less* sodium but there has to be some degree of it. I could be wrong though. I tend to stay away from chips altogether these days.
  • Flopoe22
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Honestly, and in the absence of more information, no I don't think I would. 87g is just over 3 ounces. Most chips are ~140 cal per ounce. What are the ingredients?

Only four ingredients: corn, lime, oil and sea salt
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Flopoe22 wrote: »

Only four ingredients: corn, lime, oil and sea salt

salt but no sodium? and oil but like no fat? Must be a TINY portion, or wrong XD
  • Flopoe22
    Options
    Did you weigh out 87 grams of chips to see how much it is? It could be true.

I did weigh out the whole bag, and the stated 220g stands (give or take 10g) The whole bag would be two small portions. I still find suspicious having found 100g of corn chips for about 100 cals..
  • Flopoe22
    Options
    Not sure I would completely trust this label. The information seems to be missing and possibly incorrect- no sodium whatsoever? In tortilla chips?! I dunno... I could see there being *less* sodium but there has to be some degree of it. I could be wrong though. I tend to stay away from chips altogether these days.

Especially that the last ingredient is sea salt..
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options

This^^
    Given that list of ingredients are typical for tortilla chips, I'd say the nutrition label has to be wrong.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't trust it, personally. I have a few things I don't (like bread that's less than a calorie per gram). My country doesn't tightly regulate the label so I always have to use common sense. The grams of nutrients add up to less than half the grams for the serving. If it's more than 50% water, it isn't chips. If a corn tortilla with moisture intact before being fried or dehydrated is about twice the calories listed here per gram. I would personally pick a label for a similar product and use that instead.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options

A lot of Mexican tortilla chips don't add salt to them. I know the ones at two different local stores (I live right on the US/Mexico boarder) that simply bake the corn tortillas to crisp, and bag them. The whole deep fried and highly salted thing is more American. So the label is most likely correct.
  • amusedmonkey
    Options
    VUA21 wrote: »

A lot of Mexican tortilla chips don't add salt to them. I know the ones at two different local stores (I live right on the US/Mexico boarder) that simply bake the corn tortillas to crisp, and bag them. The whole deep fried and highly salted thing is more American. So the label is most likely correct.

See above: how can baked corn tortillas result in fewer calories than a regular corn tortilla before baking?
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options

See above: how can baked corn tortillas result in fewer calories than a regular corn tortilla before baking?

It's in reference to tortilla chips, which in the US are generally made by frying corn tortillas and then covering them with salt. Plain corn tortillas can have little to no salt, a vary widley on calories, depending on how they are made. All corn tortillas are not made the same.
  • amusedmonkey
    Options

It's in reference to tortilla chips, which in the US are generally made by frying corn tortillas and then covering them with salt. Plain corn tortillas can have little to no salt, a vary widley on calories, depending on how they are made. All corn tortillas are not made the same.

True, they vary, but not a single tortilla I've come across had less than 1 calorie per gram like this label states, let alone after baking (since weight is reduced by a lot with baking).
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Not a chance. Also... who in the world puts labels in ML for chips??? To be fair though, that's 1/2 cup a serving. There's no way you can fit 87g of chips in 1/2 cup. So their grams are definitely off.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options

For the amount of salt to make a significant difference in the energy in the product (by displacing ingredients that provide energy), you would have to be adding so much salt that the product would be inedible by any human being used to the normal range of salt in food. Even the "highly salted ... American" chips have only about a gram of salt in the 87 g serving size described on the OP's label (and that's assuming all the sodium in such chips is in the form of sodium chloride).

The label only accounts for 26.5 g of solids in 87 g of product, and that's assuming that total carbs includes neither fiber nor sugar. Let's be wildly generous and assume another 3.5 g of minerals and vitamins that aren't accounted for on the label (that is, micronutrients that are generally present in a serving of food in micrograms and milligrams, not amounts typically measured in full grams). Now you have 30 grams of solids, leaving 57 g of water in the finished (baked or fried) product, or about 2/3 water by weight. A product that is 2/3 water would not be a chip. A "dough" made from a ground corn product (with whatever range of salt and lard or other fat you want to include) that was 2/3 water by weight could not be formed into anything that would hold its shape in your tortilla press or on your comal, griddle, or skillet, much less in an oven or a deep fryer. It would be more the consistency of pancake or crepe batter.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

But these list salt in the ingredients per the OP's follow-up. Surely that should result in some sodium shown on the label.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Basically the same ingredients as Fritos aside from the lime. Do they taste like Fritos?