Home gym vs. public gym

Options

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I started at home using water bottles, then horrible cheapo Weider weights (short bar, sand filled weights) and cheap narrow bench inherited from someone who quit working out. When I got to the point that I couldn't get the weight to my shoulders to squat I bought a set of stands. Eventually outgrew the weights I had and joined a 24 hr access gym. Made good progress in about six months of going regularly.

Since being injured, I have been lifting at home again, because it isn't worth putting on a decent outfit and driving to the gym to lift light. But now that I'm recovering I need to head back. Without a proper squat rack I don't feel comfortable squatting heavy - I have had to bail in the past. And I use the Smith machine for hip thrusts.

It's definitely easier to just roll off the couch and wander over to my weights than to pull myself together enough to get to the gym, but my workouts are better at the gym. A home workout is better than none, though.
  • PWRLFTR1
    PWRLFTR1 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I have access to one of the best powerlifting gyms in the metro Milwaukee area (Midwest Power Gym), where all the equipment you train with is what you would test with on the platform (Texas Combo Racks) and all the weights are IPF approved and calibrated in kilos.

45e644uhtr0g.jpeg

I also have a (300 square foot) basement gym (Giant Robot), where the equipment is not platform standard and the weights are pounds and not calibrated.

dphvq8sqrpyg.jpg

Both gyms are limited in equipment, and have about the same things. Barbells, plates, collars, and a cable machine for accessories.

I still make gains between both gyms, however at the first gym I get to train with other smarter, stronger, powerlifters and not only does it become like a team effort, I learn something every time I session with another athlete. We coach each other up. You can't beat the support and the friendship is invaluable, and that support can really come in handy when you step up on the platform.

After all, your program should guide you -- the gym just needs the bare minims to meet the demands of your programming.

So is there a Mrs. giantrobot_powerlifting? :*
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    I have only ever lifted at home, in my basement, alone, and LOVE it. I can't imagine dealing with a public gym, the extra cost, dealing with other people, sharing equipment, etc. I don't have any problem staying motivated to follow my program(s). All things being equal I bet I workout more than I would with my home gym if I had to leave the house to do so. The basement is unfinished at present, at some point I would like to finish it, at least partially, and really make it nice. Still, it's quite possibly my favorite place to spend time.

Equipment:
    Fitness Gear Olympic Weight Bench + two oly bars, a curl bar, dip belt, and 600lbs of plates
    Bowflex Adjustable Dumbbell Pair 5-52.5lbs each
    Joist-mounted pull-up bar
    Concept2 Rower
    Treadmill (mostly for the Mrs.)
    Spin Bike

Ultimately I'd like to have nicer/more pricey equipment and a full rack, but the stuff I have is functional and held up really well for what it cost. I've purchased everything new but never for full retail via sales, gift cards, rebates, etc. All told I've probably invested ~$2250 in equipment and accessories, gradually over that span.

Results:
    Left is July 7, 2015, right around the time I bought the bench, 170lbs (had been doing DB lifting since April 2015)
    Right is January 17, 2018, 172.4 lbs (most recent progress photo, due to take another at the end of the month)
    x8osj29dt4jv.jpg

Started basically from scratch from a strength standpoint, current maxes are below, should be higher but a back injury in late 2016 and a pec strain/tear in fall of 2017 have slowed some progress; I limit how often I deadlift and could bench 275 at one point pre-injury.

Current ESTIMATED ONE REP MAXES per Symmetric Strength
    Back Squat: 365 lbs[Proficient]
    Deadlift: 376 lbs[Intermediate]
    Bench Press: 245 lbs[Intermediate]
    Overhead Press: 147 lbs[Intermediate]
    Pull-up: 92 lbs added[Proficient]
    Pendlay Row: 202 lbs[Proficient]

Now, if I can just get my wife into lifting like the rest of the lovely ladies in the thread I'd really be in business.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I am so jealous of all of you with basements. We have absolutely no space for a home gym. I have some basic equipment like pull up bar, barbell and dumbbells with plates, a few kettlebells. Enough to do a decent upper body workout at home, but not lower. Plus, I'm just not motivated at home. I do much better at the gym and will push myself harder with other people around. I also enjoy meeting people and hearing what their fitness stories are. My MFP friends get a running "Humans of the Gym" update.

You know what I didn't hear mentioned? Childcare. I don't need it anymore, but I know it was a huge plus to me when my kids were little. There would have been no way I could have worked out at home with them. They just demanded too much attention. The YMCA offered 2hrs of free childcare. Boom!
  • nodley
    nodley Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have to use a home gym because I work 10 hours a day and when I leave work at 5:30pm the gyms are rammed until after 9 and I can't get much done. I'm the kind of person that gets in, gets it done, and goes home, my time is very valuable. I hate waiting for people, especially the ones who check their phones while people are stood waiting. I used to go in my lunch but I could only fit 20 minutes in before I had to shoot off back to work.

I do OK though, I've got a few hundred kg of plates. I have an exercise bike, a rowing machine, a dip frame, a pull up bar, an adjustable weight bench. I much prefer doing it at home but I'd use a gym if I could find a quiet one after work.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    I am so jealous of all of you with basements.

Do you have a garage? Could you build a shed or something dedicated to gym space?
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    steveko89 wrote: »

Do you have a garage? Could you build a shed or something dedicated to gym space?

Ha! No. We live in a townhome with absolutely no yard. We downsized from a 5 bedroom to a 3 when we moved into the city. My oldest has to sleep on the couch since he moved back home.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    steveko89 wrote: »

Ha! No. We live in a townhome with absolutely no yard. We downsized from a 5 bedroom to a 3 when we moved into the city. My oldest has to sleep on the couch since he moved back home.

I'm jealous too. No space or money for a home gym. It's LA Fitness ::shudder:: for me right now.
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I am so jealous of all of you with basements. We have absolutely no space for a home gym. I have some basic equipment like pull up bar, barbell and dumbbells with plates, a few kettlebells. Enough to do a decent upper body workout at home, but not lower. Plus, I'm just not motivated at home. I do much better at the gym and will push myself harder with other people around. I also enjoy meeting people and hearing what their fitness stories are. My MFP friends get a running "Humans of the Gym" update.

You know what I didn't hear mentioned? Childcare. I don't need it anymore, but I know it was a huge plus to me when my kids were little. There would have been no way I could have worked out at home with them. They just demanded too much attention. The YMCA offered 2hrs of free childcare. Boom!

Yep, that’s why I’m at the local gym. 4 kids under 8 that I homeschool, so they’re always with me. I have a garage gym (squat rack, bench), but someone always finds me and I cannot concentrate while answering 600 questions. Or making sure no one runs into the street or crushes themselves with a plate or dB. I prefer late am or afternoon workouts, I’m not ready to lift at 5 am before hubs leaves at 6 and everyone wakes up. So 2hrs of free childcare it is!
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Definitely jealous of basement gyms. There are no basements in our area, so garage is the only way to go unless you have an extra room. When we hover 90-110 early May to mid October and your HOA requires you to keep your garbage in the garage...things are hot and fragrant for half the year (did I mention the non-potty trained kiddo?), so a/c in the commercial gym looks even better
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    I lift at home. Even though I know that no one will likely judge me, my anxiety gets the best of me in a public setting when I'm not confident about what I'm doing, which spirals into me thinking "They're all watching me and they all think I suck and I'm fat," so I know if I tried to force myself to lift in a gym, it wouldn't work.

I have a gym membership, but I only use it for swimming and treadmill access.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I realized something these past few gym sessions... I make the absolute worst faces when I am lifting, especially hip thrusting, glute bridges, other glute moves, also my overhead press face is terrifying. Oh and I scream and wimper and swear and make other random noises. So... yea I think it's best not to subject others to all that :D
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    I also wish I had a basement or garage! I do have a home gym though. We have a living room where we spend our evenings and a den/computer room which I took over with my equipment. It may not be a beautiful sight for our company but I really don't care. I have a squat rack, bench, elliptical, pull-up bar, barbells, some smaller equipment, and yes, a total gym which I use for pulley work/pilates.

I have had what I think is excellent success working out at home. I've done a couple small bulks and am thrilled with the results. I have used a gym in the past but have too much social anxiety to really get the full benefit from the investment. I also greatly prefer being able to lift at my convenience, with my own choice of music and volume, and not worrying about what I'm wearing or looking like. I have a special needs teenager who cannot be left alone so it's easier for me to be able to do what I need to at home. Fortunately, I have my husband to check my form and to spot when I need it.

• PWRLFTR1
    PWRLFTR1 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I realized something these past few gym sessions... I make the absolute worst faces when I am lifting, especially hip thrusting, glute bridges, other glute moves, also my overhead press face is terrifying. Oh and I scream and wimper and swear and make other random noises. So... yea I think it's best not to subject others to all that :D

This is why I love my gym, all of these things are not only allowed, but encouraged. It may not be my home, but for me, its the next best thing.
  • CowboySar
    CowboySar Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I started in the gym and am still in the gym. I did buy an Inspire M1to work out at home, not as my go to but as my safety net. If I could not get to the gym I had it to fall back on. I have since sold it as it does not have near enough weight for me, and to be honest prefer the gym, you just cant beat the amount of weight available or selection of machines and accessories. I would love to turn my garage into a home gym but the it is extremely cost prohibitive for what I want/need.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Home Gym. Rack, bench, step, dumb bells, punching bag, treadmill, spin bike, lebert equalizers, floor space for stretching and ball for stretching my back. I'm lucky to have a large room as long as my house - one end is the gym one end is videogames. Balance.
  • mortuseon_
    mortuseon_ Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised by how many people have home gyms! I move around a lot and have lived in flats for the past 5 years or so, thus no chance of a home gym for me. I don't think I'd be able to hack it without a squat rack, though.

I will say that I'm fairly picky about commercial gyms - they have to have a decent amount of lifting equipment, not be too busy, and open for a fair while outside work hours (ideally 24hr, but that isn't always feasible). They vary so much in feel that I think it's hard to generalise. You just have to shop around and hope that something good is nearby!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I don't have a home gym and don't want one. My gym is awesome. Caters to bodybuilders, strongmen and powerlifters. 6 squat racks, 6 bench press, tons of other stuff. Super nice people. Great trainers, who train based on science.

https://www.themeccagym.com/
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I like the notion of a home gym, and my wife and I have discussed it in the past, but I know it would never work for me. Between my 8 and 6 year old boys, a large home, an acre of property, and a honey do list a mile long there's just too much distraction when I get home. Beyond that, getting home from a long day at the office and an hour each way commute signals the end and I don't want to do much except take care of what needs to be taken care of.

I enjoy my gym, but I don't have the problems a lot of people have with a public gym because my gym isn't open to the general public. My gym is owned by husband and wife friends of mine and for the most part, you have to be training with one of them or one of the other three trainers to workout there. There are only a handful of us that are close to the family who have "executive memberships" and can come and go as we please.

At most, there would be 5 other people working out if all 5 trainers were there and training someone...I've never seen it...it's usually like 3 other people besides myself. If I go on a Sunday there's never anyone there except myself.

Because everyone is working with a trainer, there's no silliness going on either and everything gets put back in it's place and everything is clean.

The trainers are top notch...the husband is a retired pro BMX racer with multiple national championships under his belt and at least one World Championship. He is retired and now coaches team USA at Worlds and the Olympics. His wife has her bachelors in exercise science and is a Cat 3 (I think...maybe 2) cyclist who mostly races crits and cyclocross and is no stranger to the podium. One of the other trainers is a pro mountain biker and the other two are female physique competitors.

There aren't really any cons for me...sometimes the weekend commute to get there annoys me, but when it's nice out I use it as an excuse to get some miles in on my bike and get a good 16 mile round trip in. It's on my route home from work, so I don't really have any excuses there.