Suggestions for seasoning roasted butternut squash noodles?

Options
estherdragonbat
estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
I've got a well-stocked dried spice cabinet and a limited potential for fresh herbs at the corner grocery. My main is going to be tofu in a tamarind-infused barbecue sauce (other ingredients off the top of my head include fresh tomatoes, Dijon mustard, brown sugar, molasses, smoked paprika, garlic, shallots, ketchup and cayenne). I'm looking for something to balance out the barbecue.

Thanks so much!

Replies

• nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    This is an interesting question! One clarification, are the "noodles" just spiralized butternut squash or are they noodles made from squash and flour?
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    If the BBQ sauce will be a more straightforward traditional sweet, then go with sour. A vinegar slaw would be traditional. Butternut squash may not be the best choice because it's inherently sweet.

If the BBQ sauce will lean towards sweet/sour/salty because of the tamarind, then double down on the sweet but go with a more straightforward brown sugar profile. I'd skip the spiralized squash and mash those suckers with butter, brown sugar, and warm spice.

Alternatively, curry & tumeric may work pretty well for either. It won't necessarily enhance the main, but it would be delicious and won't conflict with it either. You could up the heat if you'd like and let the sweetness of the main bring it back down.
  • estherdragonbat
    Options
    This is an interesting question! One clarification, are the "noodles" just spiralized butternut squash or are they noodles made from squash and flour?

They're just spiralized butternut squash. Mostly I go basic and toss them with olive oil, salt and pepper.

I think I'll try the curry and turmeric, thanks for the tip!
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Toss with sugar free or regular maple syrup, cinnamon, salt, stevia, and some paprika then roast! Yummmm
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    old bay or lawrys
    simple straightforward
  • estherdragonbat
    Options
    Noting for future! Thanks!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,164 Member
    Options
    Too late for this round, but in my world, roasted winter squash and shiro (white) miso is a marriage made in heaven. Maybe a scatter of something crunchy on top: Toasted sesame seeds? Pepitas?

Sage (fresh, or fresh frizzled in butter) and garlic are another good combo with winter squash. For the lightest treatment (calorie-wise) a quick simmer in a bit of veggie broth to release the flavors, or even in a bit of good vinegar, might be nice, then toss with the squash noodles. If more calories are available, then an olive-oil saute before tossing. And toasted walnuts, chopped. ;)
  • estherdragonbat
    Options
    Thanks!