Starting running

Options
Hi everyone. I am pretty new to the mfp community. I am starting to run. Still quite a bit overweight at 171 at 5'4".

I could use tips on how to get into running. How long, how often? I have used the c25k program in the past.

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Is there any reason not to use c25k again?
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    This question has popped up quite a bit lately, so i thought I would try and revive an old thread that was helpful to so many people in the past. It's pretty comprehensive in answering a bunch of questions new runners might have. hope it helps.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1217573/so-you-want-to-start-running/p1
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Use c25k

Start at week 2 or 3 if you want
  • mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsa12
    mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsa12 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I am also trying to learn to love running too. In Jan 2017 I started C25K and in March ran a 5k in 28 minutes - it’s hardly a record but I was super proud of myself! Then I just stopped which was a shame because I had really worked hard to achieve that goal.

Now I am back at it. Started C210k at the beginning last week signed up for a 5k in August but this time I’m planning beyond that to keep me motivated so I’ve also signed up for two 10ks in the fall.

C25k worked for me last time so I’m just doing that gain. Run/walk program 3 x a week. I’m also trying to do one other activity one day a week, mostly spinning because I enjoy it. Sticking to two complete rat days two days a week because I think exercise should be fun, not a chore.

Starting the Program seems easier this time, but I think that’s because I know it is possible for my body can do this - last time I was pretty confident I was going to die some days!
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I love running, and second (Or is that third) c25k, even if you don't feel you need to start there it helps to gradually build distance and so help prevent injury such as shin splints.
    I'd also recommend getting a gait analysis done and buying a decent pair of runners, in fact buy 2 or even 3 so you can rotate then and give them time to dry out when they get wet.
  • Dani9585
    Dani9585 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Definitely go back to C25K! It's such a great program, and I'll bet that you'll find it MUCH easier this time. Just a reminder to not run too fast, until you're really ready, as this can be such a set back if an injury occurs.
  • 0ysterboy
    0ysterboy Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Lots of people use c25k because it works.