Advice Needed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Options
Hi everyone!
This is actually advice for my dad who is 58. He has really bad arthritis in both knees with constant pain that he has just gotten used to. He is ready to get in shape but doing too much on his feet or walking a lot is out of the question. I think part of the pain is brought on from the weight but it hurts too much for him to do most of the exercises I am familiar with. I hope with all the wonderful people on here, we can find some exercises that can help him out. thanks!! :D

I should also mention he does not have a gym membership but does have access to a hot tub so some water stuff might be doable.

Replies

• RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Has he tried swimming or biking?
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    If it's accessible, swimming would probably be great! It's a great workout, but very low impact.
  • laurielou04
    laurielou04 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    biking would be too difficult. In past years it would probably be no problem but in the last two or so years, his knees have started to get worse to the point now that if he walks a lot, he has to spend the rest of the evening with them up because they hurt so much.

Most of his weight is in his stomach area. I just was curious to what type of exercises won't put pressure on his legs.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    biking would be too difficult. In past years it would probably be no problem but in the last two or so years, his knees have started to get worse to the point now that if he walks a lot, he has to spend the rest of the evening with them up because they hurt so much.

Most of his weight is in his stomach area. I just was curious to what type of exercises won't put pressure on his legs.

Swimming would probably be his best bet then. It is extremely low pact as the water takes a lot weight off the joints yet the water also provides some resistance to get a good workout in.
  • apriljackss
    apriljackss Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    One thought that comes to mind for cardio are upper body cardio exercises such as shadow boxing, arm circles, wind mills, etc... I also second the advice of some others that said swimming, it's a great low-impact full body exercise.
  • aNewYear123
    aNewYear123 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I have seen classes of aqua step, aqua circuit, aqua zumba etc. See if you have anything like that around where you are.
  • cynusps
    cynusps Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Knee replacement then exercise. I had a knee replacement in March of this year. Going through the physical therapy helped get me started on the right track and is helping my other knee. Weight loss will help but when the knee gets so bad loosing weight won't make the pain any less. Speaking from experience. I am also 58 and haven't felt this good in a long time.
  • nyrina4life
    nyrina4life Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Swimming would be most beneficial for him.

However, he probably could do some modified upper body exercises. See if you can find any exercise DVDs on Amazon , youtube or google for modified versions that don't impact the legs a lot.

However, swimming would be great because the water will help him, and also just battling the weight of the water to move probably would strengthen his legs.

Good luck.
  • buckshot1969
    Options
    swimming takes pressure off the knees and it very theriputic
  • kyliep99
    kyliep99 Posts: 15
    Options
    My mum's got bad arthritis in her knees and has starting doing a water aerobics class - she says the pain eases a fair bit for several hours afterwards and it's an easy going class for older people so not too strenuous.
  • madaleingericke
    madaleingericke Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Arthritis as medical condition is unknown in the Mediterranean countries. This is apparently because olive oil is used liberally, daily. Try giving your dad a tablespoon full every day, see whether there is any improvement over a couple of weeks. (It is not a good-tasting remedy, but it really works!)
  • zeebruhgirl
    zeebruhgirl Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    He should take a look at DDP Yoga! It's a little pricey but it's very low impact because you're using your own body strength to tone and can go at your own pace.
  • laurielou04
    laurielou04 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone! I'll pass it along. :)
  • janatarnhem
    janatarnhem Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I would suggest looking at trying to ease the pain as much as possible - primoxicain cream is a pharmalogical form of anti inflammatory pain reliever that is applied to the areas, 3 times daily. Taken alongside the usual analgesics. Then try gentle exercise. Swimming could be good! Helps my mum!
  • FranceBound57
    Options
    Possibly Yoga - http://www.hopkinsarthritis.org/patient-corner/disease-management/yoga-for-arthritis/
    As a yoga teacher, modifications can be made by a qualified instructor to allow your dad to increase his mobility and as a 55 year old with arthritis - I can vouch for the benefits.
  • NomadicFlame
    Options
    i assume he is using Glucosamine Sulphate? That stuff transformed me from being almost unable to open jars to pretty damned normal again. Takes a couple of weeks to build up, but it was a life saver for me.

Also fish oil which I am certain he must be using.
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    He probably ought to start by doing some specific knee exercises. He needs to strengthen and mobilize the knees, which means exercising the thighs and hamstrings, as they power the knees. In all likelihood, those areas are weak on him. Look online for knee specific exercises. There are some good books on Amazon that have helped me. There are about six exceptional exercises that he should do at least three times a day to start with.

He can also work his upper body. He can ride an incumbent bike, he can learn to do the hula hoop. There are lots of things he can do. I have horrible knees and have learned to pretty much keep them in good shape and I do almost any exercise I choose. I don't run. And sometimes Leslie Sansone is a bit much for my knees too.

You might also investigate him taking some MSM. It sure helps me.
  • Sondicalondi
    Sondicalondi Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    He could do plenty of exercises while not impacting his knees. Would he actually try yoga? (my husband would never) Wall pushups, hand weights while sitting down with overhead presses, etc. Dips on a step, (arms behind you), etc. Do some googling and find exercises he can do while sitting down, laying down, etc. Just have him go from one to the next quickly, and take his pulse after a few minutes to make sure it is elevated.