Breakfast: Myth or Truth?

Everyone always says to eat a good breakfast to get your metabolism moving and start the day right. With me though, it seems if I eat breakfast at all, I'm hungrier throughout the day not less! And on days I try to eat something in the morning I almost always go over calories for that day. I would rather save my calories for a decent lunch and dinner. But does it really shut down your system to not eat in the am? Btw I drink coffee in the morning, not sure if that matters. Thoughts?

Replies

• nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Myth for metabolism.

Meal timing is personal preference.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    No, your body/metabolism won't shut down if you don't eat in the am. Some people will have issues with energy levels or blood sugar, but that's individual. Find what works for you.

I'm like you in that if I eat breakfast, I end up feeling really hungry mid-morning, whereas if I skip it, I can easily last until lunch-time. I also prefer to "save" my calories until later and eat the majority of my calories after 7pm. Sometimes though, I do feel a bit less energetic when I don't have breakfast, so a couple of days a week when I'm more active during the day, I eat breakfast. The rest of the week, I don't eat until about 1pm.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    No, your body/metabolism won't shut down if you don't eat in the am. Some people will have issues with energy levels or blood sugar, but that's individual. Find what works for you.

I'm like you in that if I eat breakfast, I end up feeling really hungry mid-morning, whereas if I skip it, I can easily last until lunch-time. I also prefer to "save" my calories until later and eat the majority of my calories after 7pm. Sometimes though, I do feel a bit less energetic when I don't have breakfast, so a couple of days a week when I'm more active during the day, I eat breakfast. The rest of the week, I don't eat until about 1pm.
    I'll second this, and the same goes for eating at night. Some people need to skip eating at night because having food in their stomach while lying down can upset it (my dad has this problem, might be from his GERD), but it won't affect your metabolism in any way.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member

This is me as well. I adhere better to my calorie allowance if I skip breakfast, for some it's the other way around. Do what works for you. It is a myth as far as 'jump starting" your metabolism.
  • kgeiger141
    kgeiger141 Posts: 78 Member
    Every person is different. I tend to shy away from all the "facts" that say they know what is right for all 8 billion people on the planet. There is no way one rule can be applicable to every person.

Personally, I just have one or two snacks in the morning until lunch and then have a lunch, followed by one or two more snacks in the afternoon and then a smaller dinner. I personally don't eat any large or extravegant meals because I find that I'm still hungry all the time, regardless of how big my meals are.

By making my meals smaller, I can allot myself more snacks. I basically eat all day long because of the way my meals and snacks are scheduled, but that's my personal preference. I agree with the others that say, find out what works for you!
  • TheBitSlinger
    TheBitSlinger Posts: 621 Member
    I've seen people die if I don't eat breakfast.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    I've seen people die if I don't eat breakfast.
    Did you make bacon?
  • farminmama1
    farminmama1 Posts: 6 Member
    Thank you. I can't tell you how many times I have heard that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. I too get hungry soon after eating breakfast. If I skip it I can go many hours before truly feeling hungry. I have found that on those days that I feel I need to eat something before a planned lunch time, if I have a banana (other fruits don't work) it will take that feeling away and then I can eat my calories as planned.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    I'm a lunch and dinner kinda guy. Maybe on Saturday I'll have brunch, but other than that, I skip breakfast. Skipping a meal a day in no way affects your metabolism, it takes minimum 3 days of 0 calorie intake for your metabolism to begin to slow in any way.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    I don't always have breakfast, it makes for a better lunch and dinner eery time :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Myth. However I used not to have breakfast too and found out that I actually ate more later to make up for it. I've also noticed that if I have a bigger breakfast, I'm less hungry later in the day. At first it was making me hungrier too but now I need breakfast and I'm actually hungry in the morning. Go figure.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    I would just like to be the contrarian here. While I can exercise for a little over an hour before I bonk on an empty stomach, if I don't eat something in the morning I'm lethargic and have hard time paying attention to anything.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    All that jazz about revving the metabolism is total BS...

I have breakfast foods, but not necessarily at the "right" time. Meaning, I might have my omelet, bacon, etc. about 2-3 hours after waking up.

On days that I don't have breakfast foods, I just beef up my other meals with more tasty calories.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Not really in the open and direct way about metabolism but I have read more than a few research articles on how eating breakfast is still relevant due to it helping to regulate your cortisol levels.

From what I understand, when you sleep, your cortisol levels are naturally high because you are basically fasting. Breakfast helps bring them back down to their normal levels. If you skip then your levels will remain higher to keep your glucose levels up and diminish your insulin sensitivity....which of course helps regulate your carb and fat metabolism.

I am like you though, if I eat breakfast then I am usually hungrier during the day. What I try to do is eat higher protein foods in the morning because they take longer to digest and keep me full for longer.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    If I'm hungry in the morning I eat breakfast. If I'm not hungry I don't eat. It's a simple method that has served me well.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Neither myth nor absolute truth. Food may have a role in setting your circadian rhythms. You can use breakfast to your advantage if you travel or work odd hours.
    http://www.science20.com/news_releases/does_a_food_clock_in_the_brain_supercede_circadian_rhythm
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Myth, but for me it's a truth. But I also work out in the mornings and am pretty miserable unless I have something to eat.
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Totally depends on what works for you, but I would say that it depends what you're eating for breakfast. If it's typical cereal-ish, you probably do crash and want more food soon after. I would focus on protein and fat for breakfast to keep you full.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Not really in the open and direct way about metabolism but I have read more than a few research articles on how eating breakfast is still relevant due to it helping to regulate your cortisol levels.

From what I understand, when you sleep, your cortisol levels are naturally high because you are basically fasting. Breakfast helps bring them back down to their normal levels. If you skip then your levels will remain higher to keep your glucose levels up and diminish your insulin sensitivity....which of course helps regulate your carb and fat metabolism.

I am like you though, if I eat breakfast then I am usually hungrier during the day. What I try to do is eat higher protein foods in the morning because they take longer to digest and keep me full for longer.

Also, not to mention how many studies have found a link between skipping breakfast and obesity?

I am neither or scientist or a researcher so I won't pretend to know a definite answer on any of this....just saying there is a hell of a lot of stuff out there that points to it being pretty important.
  • keithgoode
    keithgoode Posts: 11 Member
    It's likely a myth. The ultimate truth is that you should consume fewer calories than you burn in order to lose weight. That said, I eat within 30 minutes to an hour of waking in the morning, and I eat every two hours like clockwork afterward. This approach has really forced me to educate myself about portions and caloric values. I'm never to the point of starving, but I do get hungry every two hours now. I guess it's all about how your train your body.