Hypothyroidism diagnosis and fatigue

Options
I recently began a thread concerning my fatigue and its possible source. After a follow-up visit with my physician concerning blood test results, it seems I do in fact have hypothyroidism. My TSH was 3.43, but my physician believes that it should be below 2.5, as per the stricter range of an endocrinologist rather than the laboratory range of 5. Apart from an iron level that is slightly low, but not enough to qualify me as anaemic, or to require additional supplements, my other vitamin levels are fine.

I started a prescription for 25Mcg of Levothyroxine, and though only eight days have passed, I am not feeling any better. I have a blood test scheduled in September to check my TSH, T3, and T4 levels. Is this a case of impatience? I am becoming a bit distraught by my questionable ability to function. My workouts are less productive, I have more instances of mild headache than normal, and I am struggling with concentration and a lack of energy not renewed by sleep. I also seem to be gaining and losing the same one to two pounds, and regardless of three days of strength training a week the inches are not coming off.

I had more energy a year and a half ago, at a weight sixty pounds heavier, with a diet of mostly unhealthy food, and with little exercise. Since graduating university I am supposed to be on the hunt for a job, but I don't think I could reliably work at this point. I constantly feel like I pulled an all-nighter, and my ability to focus, analyse, and become mentally engaged with anything from a novel to a film, or even a conversation, is deteriorating.

I'm sorry for the grumbling nature of this post, but I am frustrated and feeling guilty for being essentially rendered a zombie in the eyes of my friends and family. I am considering waiting another week to see if I improve, and if not, calling my physician. Is this a matter of simply waiting for the medicine to build up in my system? My physician did mention that 25Mcg is quite a small amount, and it will likely have to be increased.

Thank you for any input.

Replies

• sh9189
    sh9189 Posts: 1
    Options
    I have been on Levothyroxine for 6 years, and my dosage has gone up and down since then at least every six months or so --I am starting to suspect it is off again. This may be a little bit simply my own body-chemistry --I was about 16 when I first probably started having a low thyroid, fairly young,and the issue runs in my family. I gained over 50 pounds before it was diagnosed, and another 50, much more slowly and with added bad habits, since. So at 8 days, I would definitely not expect any major changes, for one thing you are on a fairly low dose, and no one will know what your proper dosage until your body chemistry has adjusted to the change and new blood tests are done, so don't lose hope!

Over time, as my thyroid regularized with the proper dosage, it is not so much that I noticed a huge jump in energy, so much that I noticed I didn't have an urge to binge sleep as much, and I had more motivation to get up an go. My temperature, which always seemed off before, has also normalized, so because I am overweight I'm actually a little too warm more often than no (at least its predictable!). And when I don't take my medicine for a day or two, or if it is off, as I suspect it is now, I do feel the affects, since I have gotten used to the feeling. However, I am still not a "peppy" person and never will be, and as someone with a low thyroid, you should know that your metabolism will never be as fast as someone without a low thyroid, even with meds. That said, one important thing to focus on for people with low thyroids is working out your muscles, which really boosts your metabolism and helps you burn more calories on an every day basis, even when you are not working out.

Also, in recent years there has been a strong link established between women with low thyroid and depression, which I also struggle with. I was tested for many sleep disorders which found that I had mild issues but nothing large enough to explain my sluggishness, before the doctor suggested that there are psychological factors which can affect motivation and energy levels too. After finding a psych. that I really like and can talk to, and finding a drug which lifts me up just that needed smidge (if you go this route, PLEASE shop around, the worst thing is dealing with a bad psych. and feeling worse, this I know!) I can say I am sleeping SO much better, and feeling so much more ready to try new things, and keep up good habits. This is the first time in my life I have lost any weight, or purposefully exercised at a gym, which would have been too much to start before. Thyroid disorders, especially before they are treated, can really take you down, just mess with your serotonin levels and weight and adrenalin and everything, and it can be really difficult to dig yourself out of that hole all by yourself, when it was your own brain that put you there!

I hope that you might find something useful here for yourself, and that you keep working to feel the best you can,
    Energizing wishes and Good Luck,

Sh9189 ^__^
  • Bridgetthegre
    Bridgetthegre Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Thyroid can take at least a month to regulate Keep taking the pills as directed, otherwise the Doctor won't be able to adjust the dosage based on an accurate measurement of results with the current dosage.

Hang in there, It gets better.
  • toothpastechica
    toothpastechica Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Patience dear. I was diagnosed hypothyroid at 11 years old....and it took until about a year ago for the stars to align (meds, diet, stress levels, not "growing" etc) and to feel good consistently since I was a child! Make sure to stay on the meds and know that they likely will increase a few times before they become stable, make sure you are eating enough iron, getting enough sleep, and hold tight.
  • __sun__
    __sun__ Posts: 3
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism. I have been on medication for 4 years for it. I am currently on 175 Mcg of Levothyroxine. My levels are constantly low. I saw another GP last time and she said my thyroid was still very high (over 10) even though people are passing this off as normal. I have constant fatigue and so very tired all the time. I have requested to see a endocrinologist but been refused. With the view are what are they going to do that we cant.
  • Bianca42
    Bianca42 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I agree that dosage changes can take up to a month to regulate. When I first started taking thyroid meds, there was some trial and error to getting the dosage right. We started with a dosage, tested after a month, tweaked the dosage, tested after a month, tweaked again and tested after a month. It took several tries to get it right. Hang in there.