Accounting for Barre class

I just went to my first Barre class. I'm guessing this would be strength rather than cardio. Lots of community comments but few answers as to how to renter the exercise of 50 minutes. Appreciate any helpful responses!

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Strength training is rather difficult to estimate.

Circuit training is a general category for a combination of cardio & strength. Pilates is a possible strength category. Either way, it's just a guess but it will give you a starting point. Test your estimate against actual weight loss results, and over time you can tweak that number up or down.
  • AnnofB
    AnnofB Posts: 3,589 Member
    I think the best way to calculate strength calories burned is by using some device, say a FitBit or Garmin Heart, some thing like that. They will calculate the calorie burn for you. I created "Strength training" under the Cardiovascular heading under my Exercise tab. I find the Strength Training set up here to be very cumbersome and not set up for anything outside of straight weight lifting. I just note what time I start my Strength Training, when I finish and enter that total and enter the burn per my FitBit.

HTH,
    Ann
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Heart rate monitors are useful for steady state cardio, not so much for other types of exercise. But an activity tracker (although barre is not step based) would help some.
  • AnnofB
    AnnofB Posts: 3,589 Member
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Strength training is rather difficult to estimate.

Circuit training is a general category for a combination of cardio & strength. Pilates is a possible strength category. Either way, it's just a guess but it will give you a starting point. Test your estimate against actual weight loss results, and over time you can tweak that number up or down.
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Heart rate monitors are useful for steady state cardio, not so much for other types of exercise. But an activity tracker (although barre is not step based) would help some.

Good points.
  • Stasher2017
    Stasher2017 Posts: 3 Member
    Thanks, this is helpful