Do restaurants weigh their food cooked or uncooked?

Options
shiragatama
shiragatama Posts: 33 Member
edited June 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi there! I'm going to Pappadeaux to celebrate my mother's birthday tonight, and luckily they serve "naked fish" with just the filet and vegetables; my question is though, when the menu says "___ oz," do they mean that the fish was that amount of ounces before they cooked it, or that the final cooked filet is said-weight? They are offering 7 oz and 11 oz of salmon.
I know that cooking will reduce the ounces in the fish, and I just want to make sure I'm not ordering too much, calorie-wise.

(Also, one more question, around how many calories do ya'll think are in 7 or 11 oz of salmon after its been char-grilled? I'm assuming it would be different than raw calories, as the fat renders off when grilled, etc)

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,004 Member
    Options
    yeah. Raw weights.
  • Dee_D33
    Dee_D33 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    While that would typically refer to the raw weight, know that restaurants don’t weigh their portions prior to cooking them and they may vary. I have worked in the restaurant industry for 6 years and know now a lot I didn’t before. Menu calorie counts in and of themselves are guesstimations. Fillets of any meat can vary by enough to add or subtract calories from the count and the a lot of things are simply “eyeballed” such as the oil on grills, soup in a bowl, various toppings and sauces or cups of dressings. Just a forewarning. While I doubt the variation is enough to set you back it should be noted.
  • rickdkitson
    rickdkitson Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I thought that a lot of restaurant meat came in portion control packages. Each steak, chop or fillet was vacuum sealed in an individual package and all in the box were in the same weight range.

If that is the case then it must refer to raw weight as it is weighed and packed at the plant.