Do you exercise because you enjoy it or so you can eat more?

Replies

• qweck3
    qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
    I use to hate it with a passion but over time I've come to enjoy exercise. Doing a mix of crossfit and power yoga 4-5 times a week and feel great. Body starts to get sluggish if I miss a few days. Can't say that I look at calories any more and its more about hitting my protein and general macros.
  • qweck3
    qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
    serindipte wrote: »
    I began exercising because my resting heart rate was running in the 90s and I don't want to have a heart attack at 45. I don't really enjoy it, but I do it. Now my resting heart rate is down in the 70s, so I know it's working.

Such a great point that may not be stressed enough on these forums. When I started I was in the high 90's myself for a resting heart rate and that was downright scary. 2 years later I'm at 56 and what a difference.
  • LSmith0018
    LSmith0018 Posts: 134 Member
    Emmmie37 wrote: »
    I was an avid runner until injury stopped that. Kinda lost all my motivation to exercise in way, carried on eating like I WAS exercising... and now I’m back logging calories. Gained just under a stone in weight...

I’ve had 3 healthy meals, a few bits of fruit and some nuts today. I went to the gym (circuits class) and have walked around 5 miles.... but I’m only 50 calories under my allowance...

How much do I need to do to have a decent calorie deficit? I’ll never lose the weight at this rate!

I definitely need to exercise more but I’m just not enjoying it...

I do it because of my job, to release stress, and to look good. I honestly don’t “enjoy i” per day because when I hit it, I hit it hard and it’s painful at 42 years old.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    qweck3 wrote: »
    serindipte wrote: »
    I began exercising because my resting heart rate was running in the 90s and I don't want to have a heart attack at 45. I don't really enjoy it, but I do it. Now my resting heart rate is down in the 70s, so I know it's working.

Such a great point that may not be stressed enough on these forums. When I started I was in the high 90's myself for a resting heart rate and that was downright scary. 2 years later I'm at 56 and what a difference.

I've only been at it for a month, so I'm really happy with the drop. I've been walking a mile or two each day and cycling a couple miles most days. Building up on both of those as I'm able, but a month ago, I could barely walk the 0.2 miles to the mail box without being winded. Now I'm fine on breathing, just having to condition muscles.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    I started so I could eat more, now I feel yucky if I don't move around enough in some way every day. It might be a lot of walking or a class or playing with my kids, but I'd have trouble going back to being a couch potato.

Yep yep yep!!!! If I don't get my morning jog in, my day just feels off. A few years ago I would have laughed at the idea of a morning jog.
  • supersocks117
    supersocks117 Posts: 169 Member
    I try to make it as enjoyable as possible, but really it's more to eat more or because I know it's good for my body,
  • snemberton
    snemberton Posts: 175 Member
    edited June 2018
    I do it partially because it means I can eat plenty and still be a deficit. But my end goal is a combination of weight loss, no more blood pressure meds, strength, stronger core to jeep my back healthy (slightly bulging disk and I don't want to suffer the way I've seen my dad with similar issues) and a more toned body once the weight is gone. I've lost down to 135 before without exercise (meds that made me seriously lose my appetite and some other issues), but I looked sickly IMO. This time I want to do it right and have long term success, not in just lower weight, but also overall health.
  • CowboySar
    CowboySar Posts: 404 Member
    I do it because I enjoy it. I am able to put in my headphones, crank my music and lift heavy weight. Its a great form of therapy and helps unwind.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    edited June 2018
    como_agua wrote: »
    I can understand this. I'm a dancer. So, I love to dance. I love being active. I love being fit. But, I also struggle with injuries, and that can definitely be a drain and take the fun out of it. I have to rest when I don't want to. I have to choose different exercise from what I want at times. So, sometimes I exercise because I enjoy it, sometimes I pay the price, I do it for fitness, and because (like you said) I need to have a higher energy expenditure to eat the way I'm accustomed to eating for both my health & enjoyment. I have tried to reduce my calories a bit. And I am more active when I can be. Healing injuries is important. What about exploring different activities/exercise. Maybe you can find stuff you like that's gentle on your injuries.

i relate to what you say with regard to injuries. i ran for 30 years and danced flamenco for 20 and knee injuries have forced me to stop because of arthritis and bone on bone issues *sigh*. now i have to walk or recumbent bike - and even that can be tricky! i love being active and like you - i've over done things for the pleasure of movement and suffered the consequences. i hear you! now i do things like qi gong which are still beneficial for movement on a daily basis. :)

Yes, I've had knee issues since I was 14. It's tough. Dealing with a bad flare up now while just started a new dance piece. Hopefully it's almost better. And by almost better I mean back to a baseline of basic daily pain.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    edited June 2018
    Emmmie37 wrote: »
    I was an avid runner until injury stopped that. Kinda lost all my motivation to exercise in way, carried on eating like I WAS exercising... and now I’m back logging calories. Gained just under a stone in weight...

I’ve had 3 healthy meals, a few bits of fruit and some nuts today. I went to the gym (circuits class) and have walked around 5 miles.... but I’m only 50 calories under my allowance...

How much do I need to do to have a decent calorie deficit? I’ll never lose the weight at this rate!

I definitely need to exercise more but I’m just not enjoying it ... Do you exercise because you enjoy it or so you can eat more?

When I'd first entered myfitnesspal in November 2012, working out to shred the excess weight was necessary, which started out feeling like torture, for I'd committed to quite a lengthy duration to complete the challenging course (with both flat and long plus steep inclines and multilevel terrace stairs).

Now I workout as was my norm before I lost myself to getting morbidly obese. My psyche in and my wind-down which sandwich my workout proper aren't what I consider exercise. Presently, I'm on week 3 of my cut, so my calories aren't my maintenance calories around 2,700.

ETA: Both for me. I love food only musculoskeletal nutrition conscious and I am predisposed to veer towards over exercising, so thanks to all that I've learnt here, I'm responsibly cautious about keeping the balance.
  • dydn11402
    dydn11402 Posts: 95 Member
    depends what im doing. i run on the treadmill for general health and fitness even though i dont enjoy it at all. but i play sports (nothing official) because its fun and i enjoy it.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Both
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Both. One of my most intense exercises is SUP paddling. I don't do it as often as I would like. Maybe once or twice a week. I also enjoy most of my walks, but some times I walk when I really don't feel like. I don't like being in a lazy funk either though. I don't log all that much exercise, but maintenance calories would be lower if I were less active.
  • marinabreeze
    marinabreeze Posts: 141 Member
    I'd say I exercise more for the enjoyment. IMO the amount of calories burned off by exercise isn't worth doing it for that reason. But the biggest reason I exercise is to reduce muscle loss that happens during weight loss, since I have a lot of weight to lose.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Exercise really helps me with my anxiety and that is the #1 reason I do it, especially hiking. My husband and I do a lot of active stuff together and it's quality time for us so that's actually #2. Just about the only time I am very focused on exercise for the purpose of being able to eat more is when I've had a stressful day at work and have just enough calories left for a sensible dinner, but I really want a treat item like an ice cream cone, slice of pie, beer. Then I will sometimes do a specific workout at home or speed-walk laps at the mall for x amount of time if I have an errand to run in that area, to "make up for" or "earn" those calories.