I don’t like vegetables

Replies

• BlessedMom70
    BlessedMom70 Posts: 124 Member
    I’m not a fan of many vegetables, and I hate salad. I do my best though to work some veggies in that don’t have a strong flavor. For example, I will put baby spinach in a sandwich instead of lettuce. Or just focus on eating the few vegetables I do like, and not worry about the rest. I love artichokes, and like (roasted) Brussels sprouts. And I will take advantage when eating out and request vegetables instead of a baked potato for instance with my meal. Everything always tastes better in a restaurant. ;)
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    I’m not a fan of many vegetables, and I hate salad. I do my best though to work some veggies in that don’t have a strong flavor. For example, I will put baby spinach in a sandwich instead of lettuce. Or just focus on eating the few vegetables I do like, and not worry about the rest. I love artichokes, and like (roasted) Brussels sprouts. And I will take advantage when eating out and request vegetables instead of a baked potato for instance with my meal. Everything always tastes better in a restaurant. ;)

When you say you hate salad what is it you don't like about salads? The ingredients? You know you can add whatever you like to a salad, so you can have spinach in a salad along with roasted Brussels sprouts, potato most meats you like, pasta, cous cous the list is endless. A salad doesn't have specific ingredients, just like a sandwich doesn't (unless you hate bread)
  • BlessedMom70
    BlessedMom70 Posts: 124 Member
    fr33sia12 wrote: »

When you say you hate salad what is it you don't like about salads? The ingredients? You know you can add whatever you like to a salad, so you can have spinach in a salad along with roasted Brussels sprouts, potato most meats you like, pasta, cous cous the list is endless. A salad doesn't have specific ingredients, just like a sandwich doesn't (unless you hate bread)

True. I have dieted on and off since I was 14 years old (I'm 47 now), so maybe it's just the connection I see with salads and diet. (tired of dieting)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    Mmmm, now I want spanakopita!

051116023-02-spanakopita-recipe-thumb16x9.jpg
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,966 Member
    edited June 2018
    I would say keep trying and experimenting. I used to be a picky eater too. Now I eat most things. But my picky eating was probably a result of my mom being picky and just letting 90% of my diet be chicken nuggets throughout my childhood lol!! Have you tried “hiding”things in your food? (Like grated carrots in your pasta sauce or chili or something like that)
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Okay. I like CANNED French style green beans with a sprinkle of bacon bits. I like cooked CANNED sliced carrots with a little Splenda brown sugar. I like corn and potatoes—which don’t even count as vegetables since they are starches. And I like celery.

That’s it. Nothing else. And add to it I also don’t care for most herbs and spices. I love cinnamon. I’ll eat Rosemary.

Yes, I am a picky eater. But everyone acts like that’s a choice. Trust me, if it were I would choose to eat SALADS!! It is not a choice. It’s a tongue-curling, gag-reflex-inducing, stomach-churning,and at times embarrassing part of my difficulties with dieting.

I actual LIKE to diet. I like the regimen, the control, the organization of it all. However, it narrows my choices down to almost nothing. Meat, potatoes, and bread. Don’t get me wrong, just because I don’t eat vegetables doesn’t mean I am bored with what I eat. I am not. But I am limited to how much I can eat in a day.

Currently, I am on a 1500 calorie/day regimen. It is now 6:00 PM. I have had all 3 meals and an afternoon snack. I plan to have a caffeine free Diet Coke & a snack-pack of Pringles (90 calories) for an evening snack. And I will still have 400 calories left over!!!! Not good.

A couple years ago, I actually tried salad (that I made myself). Baby spinach, very small bits of raw carrots, celery, sliced almonds, bacon bits, cranberries, and a sprinkle of cheese. Since that time, I have had colon surgery and now that salad hates my guts! Literally!! LOL!

Other than children, I’ve never met anyone with as limited palette as mine.

I’m just putting this out there. I will continue with MyFitnessPal—which makes this SO much easier! I have 75 pounds to lose. It’ll just take longer.

Thanks for listening.

my daughter(will be 23) is the same way. certain smells even make her gag.she only eats potatoes as her vegetable as she cannot stand others(she has tried). she only likes certain fruits, cant eat jello due to the texture(makes her gag). doing research its considered a texture issue which is part of a sensory process disorder, she wasnt picky when she was really little either. she ate a lot of those foods but over time she became like that. certain pills she cannot even swallow now .she tries different things but its not veggies. if she cant get past the smell of something she cant eat it. she wont touch fish/seafood either. even when we are out certain smells she is very sensitive to.

I had an uncle like that too(he was married to my moms sister) he could only eat burger for meat as anything else made him about puke and he ate very little fruits and veggies as well. I can remember as a kid he wouldnt eat a lot of things and I thought it was odd. I had no idea people were like this. we even used to babysit a girl like this and if she would eat or be made to eat certain things she would gag and then throw up. my mom thought it was strange and told her parents to get her checked out as something is wrong. They found out (back in the 80s) she had some type of issue,something along the lines of a type of autism but not full blown autism. it is very commom with kids and adults on the spectrum as well.

as for losing weight you dont have to eat veggies, try to eat as well as you can of course and get a good multivitamin. its all about a deficit.
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    I hardly eat any vegetables. I'm just not big on them. The only ones I hate are spinach, asparagus, broccoli, and cauliflower. I can eat spinach of it's in things and baby spinach in a salad. You don't have to eat vegetables. I've lost 99 pounds not eating them and I'm eating 1500/day. Why do you have 400 calories left over every day?
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    You don't have to eat vegetables in order to lose weight. It's still very much possible to eat healthy and not eat many veggies. However they do contain a good amount of vitamins and fiber, so you may want to consider taking a greens supplement, multi-vitamin or fiber powder.
  • beckyrstl
    beckyrstl Posts: 2 Member
    While I would never encourage you to eat things that make you gag or physically sick, I will attest that repeated exposure to foods over time can change your palate. For example, in my early 20s, I hated raw peppers, onion and tomatoes (was fine with them cooked). Well, I studied abroad and lived with a family that served salad most nights of the week -- and to my dismay was filled with these ingredients. Not wanting to be rude, I ate them night after night (small bites at first) ... and now those are literally my favorite vegetables. Again, I don't think it's worth forcing yourself to eat stuff you don't like, but I do find it helpful to retry foods every couple of years because tastes do change.
  • Slowfaster
    Slowfaster Posts: 186 Member
    People worry too much about the form of their vegetables. Cooked veggies, either from frozen, fresh or canned, are actually better for you than the raw veggies in salad. The cooking process breaks down the molecular structure making the vitamins and minerals more absorbable.

I personally love salad (or maybe it's the creamy dressing on the salad :) ) but you shouldn't worry about it if you don't like it and never eat it. My husband doesn't like salad or most cooked veg, but he will eat corn-on-the cob and microwaved-from-frozen broccoli florets. I feel like his vitamin needs are covered with those two, plus the one slice of apple he always steals from the apple I've sliced for myself.
  • 4Pop
    4Pop Posts: 53 Member
    I've eaten more (fresh) veggies in the last month, than I had in the past year. I can eat raw tomatoes just fine, don't care for them cooked in any form. I just had a bowl of Jambalaya for lunch, and could barely eat it because of the tomatoes I put in it. Next time I make it, I'll omit them, or cut the quantity down about 75%.

Back to veggies, you can (well I did) actually develop a taste for them if you give it a chance.
  • noaddedsugarx
    noaddedsugarx Posts: 169 Member
    You can definitely train your taste buds to like anything if you persevere. There's such a variety of vegetables out there as well there has got to be something. Even if you prepare them differently/cover them in a nice sauce. There are so many things I used to dislike (bordering on detest) that I now really do - I used to gag at cucumber and celery and now I like them both! Same with mushrooms and when I was younger even plain water used to make me gag until the point I was almost sick.
    SAsher5 wrote: »
    I'm with you. If I have to hear one more person say "well, just try different ones, you might find out you like them!" I will lose my mind. It's like saying "cheer up!" to a depressed person. It's not that easy. Stop saying it. It's just hurtful and pisses me off.

What an insensitive comment! There's no way the two are comparable.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    You can definitely train your taste buds to like anything if you persevere. There's such a variety of vegetables out there as well there has got to be something. Even if you prepare them differently/cover them in a nice sauce. There are so many things I used to dislike (bordering on detest) that I now really do - I used to gag at cucumber and celery and now I like them both! Same with mushrooms and when I was younger even plain water used to make me gag until the point I was almost sick.
    SAsher5 wrote: »
    I'm with you. If I have to hear one more person say "well, just try different ones, you might find out you like them!" I will lose my mind. It's like saying "cheer up!" to a depressed person. It's not that easy. Stop saying it. It's just hurtful and pisses me off.

What an insensitive comment! There's no way the two are comparable.

actually as you get older tastes change. I still cant "train" myself to eat certain veggies. I have tried. but I do like things now I didnt before. my daughter still wont eat certain things either. some people have smell and texture issues to certain foods.there is no changing that. same with tuna and other foods. I cannot even get myself to eat those anymore, I gag at the thought about eating them.I lost my taste for them
  • noaddedsugarx
    noaddedsugarx Posts: 169 Member
    actually as you get older tastes change. I still cant "train" myself to eat certain veggies. I have tried. but I do like things now I didnt before. my daughter still wont eat certain things either. some people have smell and texture issues to certain foods.there is no changing that. same with tuna and other foods. I cannot even get myself to eat those anymore, I gag at the thought about eating them.I lost my taste for them

Ah well I guess everyone's different then. I'm just going off my experience really. Tuna and salmon are two other things I used to hate with a passion too (taste, texture and smell) and it wasn't until I persevered like I say that I actually came round to it.