Anyone tried Feeder Training for a weak body part?

Options
Seems to good to be true to be honest. Have you tried it?

Replies

• Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    So this is all down to Rich Piana....who is well known for using all known methods to build his physique....ahem... So why should we trust what he had to say?

I read this article just now not knowing of feeder training and this guy seems to have the same idea as I did the other day. Using heavy weights, 8 reps and not feeling like you have done anything.

http://growthatmuscle.com/rich-piana-feeder-workout/

I might go with the idea of using lighter weights and high high reps for a while on my legs as I do struggle with moving past a certain heavy weight when it comes to squats and so on.
  • dave_in_ni
    dave_in_ni Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    So this is all down to Rich Piana....who is well known for using all known methods to build his physique....ahem... So why should we trust what he had to say?

I read this article just now not knowing of feeder training and this guy seems to have the same idea as I did the other day. Using heavy weights, 8 reps and not feeling like you have done anything.

I might go with the idea of using lighter weights and high high reps for a while on my legs as I do struggle with moving past a certain heavy weight when it comes to squats and so on.

I always have that with heavy weights, the only time I feel like I’ve worked out is when I use time under tension training with lighter weights, but whether or not that actually is doing any good is queationable.
  • Silkysausage
    edited June 2018
    Options
    dave_in_ni wrote: »

I always have that with heavy weights, the only time I feel like I’ve worked out is when I use time under tension training with lighter weights, but whether or not that actually is doing any good is queationable.

Well, as it's been pointed out it's not for everyone, it may work for some and not others. Give it a go for a while and see what happens, no one can foresee the results it could have for you.

I'm doing leg day right now in the gym and have reduced weight and will go for 5 sets of 12.
  • dave_in_ni
    dave_in_ni Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Well, I gave this a try and failed miserably. Used the lightest dumbbells I have which are 2.5kg, Did one round of 60 skullcrushers, 100 bicep curls, then only managed 20 of each the next round and was fcked lol
  • Silkysausage
    Options
    dave_in_ni wrote: »
    Well, I gave this a try and failed miserably. Used the lightest dumbbells I have which are 2.5kg, Did one round of 60 skullcrushers, 100 bicep curls, then only managed 20 of each the next round and was fcked lol

My legs did feel it after but was on a par with my normal reps. Mine only came out to 60 reps in total per exercise, maybe should be more and even lighter??

Takes up time though this method...
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    If a person has a weak body part, they need to find out why they have a weak body part first.

It could be poor exercise technique not targeting the desired muscle or wrong exercise selection for said body part.

Both of issues won't be resolved by simply increasing volume.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I think articles by Greg Nuckols and the stronger by science crew would be more helpful (high reps low weight, ugh). They discuss the optimal rep ranges and the crossover or not between strength and hypertrophy.

I found unilateral lifting and now my strongman training have done more for my weak parts. Shoulder press has zoomed up.....
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Meh, might want to give priority/high training frequency but less sets a shot (3-4X/week).