hello. I have been here before but now focusing on overall health and not just losing weight`

Options
tartanshep
tartanshep Posts: 13 Member
Hi

I am 22, 5'9, female, 11 stone 10 (165lb).

I want to get down to around 150lb.

It is hard because I used to be around that weight at university, but have been on antipsychotic medication for bipolar disorder. The medication increased my appetite, or decreased my willpower, and I left university a year ago at about 170lb.

Since then I have gained and lost the same 7-10lb over and over again, so this time I am making real changes. I have cut down on my alcohol consumption to twice a week, I have cut down on my meat-eating... and in the past 75 days, when these changes have been taking place, I have only binged once.

That's another thing - I started binging on the medication. Now, if it happens, I will track it and try not to beat myself up about it. I have also joined a gym with the money I saved by stopping smoking.

I feel that on my medication I will lose weight a lot slower than before. 1lb a week is the maximum I can lose now.

But then I don't have a massive amount to lose so it is best to go slow, I think.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    Options
    Losing a pound a week is pretty unrealistic at your size and current weight. You are already in the healthy weight range. Set your goals to "Lose 1/2 pound (0.25 kg) per week."

That is much more reasonable and will likely stop your binge cycle. If you under-eat, your body will cause you to over-eat at some point. You can't cut calories a whole lot when you have a normal amount of body fat.
  • tartanshep
    tartanshep Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Losing a pound a week is pretty unrealistic at your size and current weight. You are already in the healthy weight range. Set your goals to "Lose 1/2 pound (0.25 kg) per week."

That is much more reasonable and will likely stop your binge cycle. If you under-eat, your body will cause you to over-eat at some point. You can't cut calories a whole lot when you have a normal amount of body fat.

Thank you, this is a very good point. i think I always see people who drop like 5lb in their first week, and I feel a bit rubbish that I can't even lose like 2lb a week.. but yeah you're right. Thank you!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    Options
    "Comparison is the thief of joy."

Just worry about yourself. :) Some people do lose 5 pounds in the first week. That's not sustainable, it's usually because they have drastically cut carbs or cut food quite a bit and/or they have a lot of weight to lose.

I'm 5'8" 140. It took me nine months to go from 155 to 140. I logged my food, exercised, used a digital food scale, make 90% of my meals at home from scratch. I was hungry. The end 20 pounds is difficult and takes precision or hunger or both.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    All I can say is don't be envious of people who can drop 5lb+ per week. Chances are if someone is dropping weight at that rate then they're likely extraordinarily overweight.

In fact I'll bet that 300lb+ person who's dropping 5lb per week would give ANYTHING to be half their weight losing 0.5lb per week.

But as said above. Everyone is different, everyone's situation is different and comparisons will just get you down.

G'luck!