Does Alcohol prevent you from losing weight?

Options
Hi,

So i have a friend that told me that I need to stop drinking all alcohol while I'm losing or I apparently won't lose weight. I thought that it was pretty funny because I've still consumed alcohol over the past month (Within my calorie limits) and I'm down almost 10lbs. So obviously the alcohol isn't hindering my loss. She calms that's only because I don't drink every day.

She ended up showing me some crazy video that said your liver can't process your fat if it's too busy processing the alcohol.

So my questions are.. Is this true? I thought so long as you have a deficit you will always lose weight. So far I've just dismissed it as false. Any info or insight would be much appreciated. =D

Replies

• TooMuchChocolate88
    TooMuchChocolate88 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Thank you all. She was trying to tell me that because I'm so big, I will see loses with almost no effort which is why I'm still losing... but she thinks eventually I will come to a stall because my liver will spend days processing the alcohol, which from reading online sources is completely false.

It's nice to know I can have a glass of wine with a meal and not feel to bad about it =)
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I've lost 13 lbs so far out of the 50 total I need to lose. I have alcohol within my calorie limits about once per week. No issues for me other than some social situations where I want to eat higher calorie foods while consuming the alcohol. But even then, one day in the scheme of a sensible diet over time does not prevent me from reaching my goals.
  • Dee_D33
    Dee_D33 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Thank you all. She was trying to tell me that because I'm so big, I will see loses with almost no effort which is why I'm still losing... but she thinks eventually I will come to a stall because my liver will spend days processing the alcohol, which from reading online sources is completely false.

It's nice to know I can have a glass of wine with a meal and not feel to bad about it =)

No effort? Weight loss takes effort at any level, good job and enjoy your glass of wine! ;)B)

• Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Gaugegirltraining is a great resource on YouTube. Her name is Christine, a food scientist and chemical engineer, and she discusses in great detail body type and alcohol consumption during weight loss. I still believe you can lose weight while drinking alcohol, but I guess some body types do it more efficiently.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    My personal experience:

I had to cut out most alcohol to loose weight (except for very special occasions). Every time I add it back I end up gaining. I think this has more to do with having lowered inhibitions and wanting to snack with my drink. I also find I am much less motivated to go for a run in the morning after a drink or two in the evening. Plus, it makes me weigh more the next day due to water retention.

+1
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Pure ethanol has 7 cal/gram, not as much as fat but more than carbs or protein. That, more than anything else, is why some people can't lose weight if they drink.
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Agree with most of what has been said. Just curious though - was the friend doling out the advice a good example of healthy living? I have noticed that most (not all) of those offering unsolicited advice are not really in a position to do so ;)
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Hi,

So i have a friend that told me that I need to stop drinking all alcohol while I'm losing or I apparently won't lose weight. I thought that it was pretty funny because I've still consumed alcohol over the past month (Within my calorie limits) and I'm down almost 10lbs. So obviously the alcohol isn't hindering my loss. She calms that's only because I don't drink every day.

She ended up showing me some crazy video that said your liver can't process your fat if it's too busy processing the alcohol.

So my questions are.. Is this true? I thought so long as you have a deficit you will always lose weight. So far I've just dismissed it as false. Any info or insight would be much appreciated. =D

As long as you aren't binge drinking every night, you'll be able to lose weight & drink. I'm down 50 pounds since the end of January & I like my tasty adult beverages.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Hi,

To the bolded...your body cannot metabolize any nutrients when alcohol is in your system. When alcohol is in your system, your metabolism is 100% metabolizing the alcohol and nothing else...this part is true. But this doesn't really matter if you are in a calorie deficit.

I personally find it easier to limit alcohol when I'm trying to lose weight...I still drink, but I drink less and tend to stick to vodka and a diet mixer...I pretty much drop beer or wine altogether save for maybe a glass or two on the weekend.
  • darharmar
    darharmar Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    If you're miserable when you're living healthily. And can't have anything fun. Chances are the changes won't be permanent. Managed (back in the day like 4 years ago) to lose a significant amount of weight. While still calculating the calories and drinking. I drink WAY less now. And losing weight is a $&*[ now. So. No. Alcohol had nothing to do with it.