Need carpet recommendations!

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
We're looking at replacing our carpet in the upstairs hallway and the stairs. I hate carpet, but I like the sound proof quality of having that in the hallway, and the cushioning in the stairs, so we're going to go for that again.

I'm just totally clueless about what to get. I have 2 kids and 2 (maybe soon 3) dogs. One is an eskimo mix and let's just say that she drops fluff everywhere. I've seen some pet carpets on Lowes website that look pretty neat, then I checked Home Depot and it's anywhere from $1 to $12 a square foot, how in the world do I know what to get? Our current carpet is awful and I want something that is EASY to clean.

Oh and color - I have a black dog and a white dog right now, and we're painting the walls sand color, so I'm thinking brownish...

Suggestions?

Replies

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,494 Member
    Options
    the first word that popped into my head was: Shag

.... then I thought a little about carpet.
  • km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    Options
    Just go into the store and feel the samples
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    Brown’s out, go with a warm gray
  • PAFC84
    PAFC84 Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    caco_ethes wrote: »

Also consider carpet moths.
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    [ go with a warm gray something highly flammable.

fixed it for ya'

• PAFC84
    Options
    The carpet should always match the curtains....
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    PAFC84 wrote: »

Bada Bing !

tip your waitress !
  • PAFC84
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »

Bada Bing !

tip your waitress !

Just the tip...
  • xFunctionalStrengthx
    xFunctionalStrengthx Posts: 4,928 Member
    Options
    Ditch the carpet and go with hardwood floors. I could never understand why carpets are as popular as they are since it's so much more maintenance than hard flooring such as hardwood or tile.

If you're worried about soundproofing, learn to walk quieter. ;)
  • Francl27
    Options

Stairs and hallway. No curtains, lol.
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    [ go with a warm gray something highly flammable.

fixed it for ya'

Youuu :heart:
  • PAFC84
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Stairs and hallway. No curtains, lol.

I gave you my best advice and you threw it back in my face ;) I'm proud of you
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    Ditch the carpet and go with hardwood floors. I could never understand why carpets are as popular as they are since it's so much more maintenance than hard flooring such as hardwood or tile.

we have hardwood floors everywhere except bathrooms (travertine) and bedrooms (carpet).

hardwood looks great but it's a pain to maintain.

• PAFC84
    Options

we have hardwood floors everywhere except bathrooms (travertine) and bedrooms (carpet).

What maintenance? Mopping?
  • Motorsheen
    Options

What maintenance? Mopping?

yeah... dust mop, deep cleaning, scratches

we have Brazilian Cherry, so it's a softer wood that scratches pretty easy. it also shows a lot of dust and footprints.

carpeting is a lot easier and so is travertine.
  • xFunctionalStrengthx
    edited June 2018
    Options

Dust mop is a lot easier than vaccuming weekly and shampooing once every couple of months. I hate carpet, it collects so much crud and gets ground in. Not to mention allergies and pollutants. Then, you have to shampoo it once a year.

I'll take hard flooring with a small area rug any day. But, I live in a rental unit, so have to deal with carpeting.
  • Francl27
    Options

We had carpet in the living room and the dining room (really previous owners, WHY???). We tore it down and had the 20yo hardwood floor underneath refinished last year and it looks awesome, not too many issues but yes, the dust shows and is a bit annoying to take care of. Also been scratched twice already. But we can't see the dogs muddy paws on it AT ALL.

Still haven't found a dust mop I love though (also taking recommendations on that LOL).

But upstairs, with kids running everywhere and having had a few issues of stairs falls, I'm just more comfortable with carpet. Also really don't want to have to leave the house for a week again to get it done.
  • xFunctionalStrengthx
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

We had carpet in the living room and the dining room (really previous owners, WHY???). We tore it down and had the 20yo hardwood floor underneath refinished last year and it looks awesome, not too many issues but yes, the dust shows and is a bit annoying to take care of. Also been scratched twice already. But we can't see the dogs muddy paws on it AT ALL.

Still haven't found a dust mop I love though (also taking recommendations on that LOL).

But upstairs, with kids running everywhere and having had a few issues of stairs falls, I'm just more comfortable with carpet. Also really don't want to have to leave the house for a week again to get it done.

That's where Pergo, or hardwood alternatives come in. Once installed, no need to do a lot of maintenance. That's what I'm doing when I get into my next house. Tile in entry way, kitchen and bath. Hardwood floor/Pergo everywhere else. But, I also have different thoughts on heating/cooling than most people so it's better for me to do a custom build than buy and retrofit an existing home. I've also been through the hassle of remodeling a home one, not doing it again.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Not a fan of carpet.I inherited a very large rug and it is a pain to clean compared to my wood foors.

I would think a gray carpet color might be good though.
    Msybe you should consult a carpet store about what you need.