Sweet tooth and weight loss

Options
2»

Replies

• VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    I cut regular candy bars in half and freeze them. For Snickers, I know that it's 110 caloriers per half bar and takes me a good 30 minutes to chew through them frozen. I had a TimTam dark chocolate today, frozen they last me about 20 minutes. This way I get my junk food craving satisfied and am good with just a small amount.
  • snemberton
    snemberton Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I like the Dole fruit dippers frozen things. My favorite is the 100 calorie pack with dark chocolate dipped banana slices. Gets a few of the good banana nutrients, but the dark chocolate yum too.

My grocery has some sugar free baked goods that are decent alternatives to some of my favorites and they fit into my calories for the day better than the full sugar version. Some use Splenda and some use other artificial sweeteners, so if you have an aversion to that, read the labels.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Your muscles run on glucose. Your brain runs on glucose. Fruits and vegetables are mostly carbs, and are generally accepted as the healthiest foods you can get. You have a sweet tooth for a reason!!!

Eat whole foods, such as fruit, when you are craving sugar.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I was traveling a bit when I started calorie counting and spent a week in Europe where they typically don't add as much sugar in foods as transportation and shelf life isn't as long. Coming back to the US I started to become aware of how sweet everything tasted. A key factor in many weight management programs is to "Reset your sweet" - a process of going off sugar for a time and slowly introduce it to become aware of new tastes and start appreciating the flavor of foods outside of sweet.

My diary is open - I have a bit of a sweet tooth and just limit my treats to a lower calorie count. We keep a treat bowl in the kitchen where we all get a treat at the end of the day. Dum Dum suckers, Jolly Ranchers, any manner of candy is up there from time to time, just eaten in moderation.
  • whitej1234
    whitej1234 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Definitely water. I've learnt a lot of my cravings are as a result of dehydration. And no, drinking water when you want sweets is too late. If you keep hydrated the cravings definitely reduce.
  • zmida
    zmida Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have a sweet tooth, but I don't keep sweets in my apartment. If I'm at work, where sweets are plentiful, I might take a few bites and throw the rest immediately away. It is a waste but it satisifies my sugar craving and I still stay within my calories.
  • applesforanna
    applesforanna Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Fruit helps, as well as some yogurt. You can totally indulge every now and then but if you want to beat cravings instead of indulging, fruits and yogurt usually help curb the craving.
  • applesforanna
    applesforanna Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I also blend frozen bananas with a dash of vanilla extract and some cocoa powder to create a chocolate ice cream type dessert. Smoothies work wel with sugar cravings as well. I’m a firm surpporter of fruit sugars and natural sugars, which I believe are better than processed sugar.
  • maybe1pe
    maybe1pe Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I fit them into my day. every day.

I also learned to listen to my body. I have low blood pressure even thought I'm on medication for it for example - when I'm experiencing a low I crave salty foods, because that's why my body needs to help me retain more water and elevate my blood pressure.

I used to crave chocolate a lot. I was deficient in magnesium.

but there is a difference between I want a treat every day and when I'm craving something. But even when I just want it I just fit it into my calories.