Plateau

Options
Hello! I feel like I’m at a plateau. I’ve starting lifting about 4 months ago and haven’t seen too much progress. I am also around the same 3-4 pounds (around 122-126) and have been the same weight for about 2 years. I want to recomp but it’s tough to not see much progress. Anyone have any advice of when I should start seeing some muscle/fat loss? Please have a look at my diary too and don’t mind today, it’s been bad b/c I was craving guacamole and chips lol.

Replies

• serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with guac and chips if you weigh and log it into your diary and make it fit your calories.

I took a quick look back through the last couple of weeks and it doesn't appear you've been consistent with weighing and logging everything? Some things are listed in cups/tsp/'half apple' while others are in grams. You have last weekend where you only logged 400-500 calories. Did you eat anything else those days?

What are you stats? Height, activity level, age, gender?

• 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Be sure to take photos of yourself: front, sides and back. In a couple of weeks, do the same. You can compare the pictures to see what your progress has been. It's very difficult to judge progress just by looking in the mirror every day! Try the free phone app PicsArt. You can make a side by side comparison of your "before" and "after" photos, and you should be able to see your muscle development and how much leaner you are getting. Good luck!
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    That's the big downside to recomping - results tend to take longer and are harder to see/measure. If you're not mentally ready for that, then a recomp might not be the best choice for you. Don't forget - by definition, you won't see progress reflected in scale weight.

That said, are you tracking progress in any other ways besides scale weight? Are you getting stronger? Are your clothes fitting differently? Are you taking measurements? Photos? Those can all be indications of change.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    As mentioned, recomp can be slow going... like watching a plant grow. It can take many months or more to see progress. Using measurements, how you look in the mirror, comparing photos, your gym progress and other non-scale measures can help.

When you say you are lifting... are you following a progressive program? That will be a huge determining factor in terms of just maintaining and actually changing your body composition.