How can I increase my protein intake?

Options
What are some foods that will help me reach 35% protein? I am kind of picky. I don't like eggs and I don't like plain Greek yogurt either. I've never tried flavored. I thought about protein powders but I assume they can get kind of pricy and as a college student that's not in my budget right now. Thanks everyone

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    Lean meat, fish, and poultry. Skim (fat-free) milk. Low-fat cottage cheese. Seitan.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Considering some protein powder is nearly all protein (you can get WPI with little to no carbs or fat), it can be quite cost effective. I can't stand it as a shake, but like to mix it in to natural yoghurt to add extra protein, flavour and sweetness.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Protein foods are the most expensive, and more than you can utilize is not beneficial. Eating protein food on the expense of other foods that are also important, means that you're not getting in optimal nutrition, and unbalanced meals and diets are pretty boring. So why would you have to eat 35% protein?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    What are some foods that will help me reach 35% protein? I am kind of picky. I don't like eggs and I don't like plain Greek yogurt either. I've never tried flavored. I thought about protein powders but I assume they can get kind of pricy and as a college student that's not in my budget right now. Thanks everyone

Why do you need 35% protein? Unless your calorie goal is 1200, that's a lot?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    If you need more protein, this is an excellent thread:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

It links to a spreadsheet that lists many, many foods in order by protein efficiency (most protein for fewest calories).

Review your food log, look for choices that have relatively many calories but relatively little protein, reduce or eliminate those foods, and add others you like that have more protein. Over time, that will get you where you want to be.

I share the curiosity about your goal. For most people, 0.6-0.8g per pound* of healthy goal weight daily should be plenty (that's roughly equivalent to 0.8-1g per pound of lean body mass). Sometimes people read something that says 1g per pound of body weight (or some such thing), and don't realize they needn't base protein intake on an overweight/obese current weight. Protein is used by our body for maintaining/building our lean mass; we don't need extra if we have extra fat mass.

*Yes, I mean pound, not kilogram. I know: It's roughly twice the USDA/WHO minimums.