Is it really worth...

Options
Tracking your cals when you go over? Why?
I mean there’s not much we can do about it except maybe feel discouraged...Opinions?
TÍA :)

Replies

• LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    bfanny wrote: »
    I mean there’s not much we can do about it except maybe feel discouraged...Opinions?

I like to look at things from the perspective of one week. So, if your maintenance caloric intake is 2,000 calories (just to keep the math nice and simple) then you would need to consume 14,000 calories a week.

I weigh myself every morning, at the same time on the same scale (that has not moved).....and each morning weigh-in is simply one data-point on the graph. I am interested in the weekly trend.

So, if I go out and have a few beers with the fellas and exceed my 2,000 calories for that day did I just ruin my week? No.....not even close. If I am 300 calories over for that one day then I can 'make it up' over the next few days (or, whatever works for you.....).

This is a mindset. And, it works well for me. Since everyone is different it may or may not work for you. All good, either way. The important thing - find what works for you. And keep the mindset right. Whatever that means to you.
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Just saying...I’ve been successfully maintaining for almost 10 years and sometimes I’ll track a splurge sometimes I won’t, I just go back to “normal” (small deficit) the next day and for the rest of my week and at the end my weight stays pretty much the same (+2/-2lbs) minus the guilt/torture of seeing numbers in red...This is to maintain, of course to lose this doesn’t work...Then I guess I’m just “lucky” :)
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Just saying...I’ve been successfully maintaining for almost 10 years and sometimes I’ll track a splurge sometimes I won’t, I just go back to “normal” (small deficit) the next day and for the rest of my week and at the end my weight stays pretty much the same (+2/-2lbs) minus the guilt/torture of seeing numbers in red...This is to maintain, of course to lose this doesn’t work...Then I guess I’m just “lucky” :)

Yeah, I’m more like this. I’m actually back to a deficit this month trying to shed a few sanity pounds, but the red numbers are a guilt/shame trigger.

Maintenance for me: I keep vague track weekly on calories (I track my protein intake so it is no extra burden). If my weight is in the proper range and trend is not up then a treat once s week or so is fine, and that splurge probably won’t be protein so I don’t necessarily log. If my weekly weight trend is up or my weight exceeds my target area then no treats or splurging until I’m back on track.

For me it is more a mental game: the red numbers are demotivating and cause a guilt shame reaction that can spiral. With the scale, I have a mental line (cross it and I adjust) and an ‘official line’ a few pounds heavier that I absolutely must not cross. That buffer means I am never ‘in the red’ on the scale so I remain positive.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I’m not a very serious logger anymore. Sometimes I log when I go over sometimes I don’t. I’m trying to be a little more accurate during the week. I usually eat to a point and then have a snack after dinner and don’t log it, but then I’ll go back and log it the next day.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,786 Member
    Options

I think since you are successfully long term maintaining it is probably not necessary for you. Others still losing or new to maintenance might want to for reasons above.

• nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    teranga79 wrote: »
    My problem is (or can be) that I go over by a perfectly sensible amount (couple of hundred or so) and then think "what the heck" and start hoovering up everything in sight. I can easily turn an extra hundred or so calories into a 4000/5000+ day by just stopping logging. At least if I make an attempt to log it gives me some accountability. I may still eat the huge amounts of food, but I should at least know what sort of numbers I'm dealing with.
    The biggest temptation for me isn't so much the food binge itself, as the loss of control. The idea of not logging, not counting, not worrying about it is very seductive to me.

@teranga79 I’m pretty sure we’re related!!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    For math and data. Plus no denial possible, and it's way easy to eat way too much if you don't bother logging it.

It's pretty interesting though when you end up every single day in the red for a while and don't gain any weight. So you can actually benefit from logging there.