Food pushers!

Options

Any good suggestions on how to deal with food pushers, bullies, saboteurs?

I’m trying really hard to stay within my daily calorie allowance and then come the food pushers.

One neighbour won’t take no thank you when she invites me for dinner. Her meals are very high calorie and high fat which I have to watch big time with my last lab results being poor.

My partner is another one that is just meal and potatoes guy that isn’t flexible.

And the list goes on....

What’s a graceful way or not so graceful way to get it to stop. It’s hard enough eating to get my health back without dealing with these saboteurs.

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    This may not be popular advice but I usually will latch onto ONE thing they offer up (something I really do like even if it might not be the best for my calorie goals) and refuse the rest. I usually lay it on pretty thick saying how great x item is, too. This satisfies a lot of food pushers, because they really do just want to give you food that tastes good and makes you happy.

If it is a situation I find myself in over & over I adopt a different and firm stance, though.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    It's absolutely true that some people watch what you eat and make a big deal if you pass on something. You have to at a certain time decide that they might judge you/feel displeased by your choice--and be OK with it.

Not everyone will want you to lose weight, because if you're heavier they feel more comfortable for whatever reason. Ultimately, you have to accept that first, and then you'll feel better about turning away potatoes, or whatever food you don't want to eat.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I wouldn’t turn down invitations to socialize with a friend/neighbor because of food. You can explain to this person that you have health concerns and need to watch your whatever intake, and bring something with you. She surely won’t argue with you if it’s about your health.
  • amberellen12
    amberellen12 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Ok! thanks for all your replies! It’s given me strength to stand my own ground knowing you guys thoughts are all along the same lines on mine.

It just gets tough having to repeat no so many times. I’ve started to become a hermit to stay away from it which isn’t good. I also don’t know how many times I’ve said I’m allergic.. lactose intolerant and a few other foods but when I go there’s the meal with dairy in it or the other foods that bother me. If I took a side dish I would get “what you don’t like my food!” I can’t win for losing!!!

About partner- if I cook for him it looks so good I want some and then too much. I guess it’s a big salad before I eat with him. He can have some too if he wants.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    100_PROOF_ wrote: »

A surefire way to get someone to leave you alone is this- say you are now selling Beachbody or it works supplements. Tell them all about how your multi level marketing supplements are miracles and how you would like them to purchase them monthly and sign up for auto pay. I guarantee that you won't have to deal with them anymore! They will run and stay very far away from you.

Thank you! And great idea, totally going to use this.
  • emmies_123
    emmies_123 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I also don’t know how many times I’ve said I’m allergic.. lactose intolerant and a few other foods but when I go there’s the meal with dairy in it or the other foods that bother me. If I took a side dish I would get “what you don’t like my food!” I can’t win for losing!!!

About partner- if I cook for him it looks so good I want some and then too much. I guess it’s a big salad before I

OMG no do not think you are losing in this situation. I am also severely intolerant of dairy, and have a tree nut allergy. For things like this, regardless of the person's relationship to you, stand your ground guilt-free. If you eat their main dish you are going to be extremely ill, you are turning down their food because you do not have a choice.