Keto andCICO

Options
I use a low carbo diet as many diabetics and prediabetics due. There is a growing body of scientific research to support lower carbo diets due to increased insulin resistance found with aging. Each person needs to decide on the level of carbs that support their needs. I am on a low-moderate carb diet. I also watch CICO but don’t obsess if a little over! Diet doctor.com is a good place to start.

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    desirae500 wrote: »
    I use a low carbo diet as many diabetics and prediabetics due. There is a growing body of scientific research to support lower carbo diets due to increased insulin resistance found with aging.

Could you link to any of this body of research that shows that insulin resistance is tied to aging? I've never heard that assertion before.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    Hm. I'm in my mid sixties and I don't have insulin resistance.

Seems like that would only be an issue for those who are over weight or diabetics or alcoholics.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    How about this:

IR often shows up years before diabetes or even weight gain. Normal BG is often the norm before beta cell dysfunction starts. Up until then, one might have elevated insulin that is keeping BG undercontrol, although there are theories that elevated insulin is what may lead to NAFLD, PCOS, alzheimer's, CVD, high BP and such without diabetes occurring. It takes time to develop IR (etc) from hyperinsulinemia.

Low carb lowers insulin levels so it is thought to help with some health issues that are associated with, or caused by hyperinsulinemia. It can stop hyperinsulinemia.

Conversely, you could look at this and say that too much insulin (say from too many refined carbs, carbs in general, or high protein) leads to IR and other health problems like T2D if not improved over the years.