End of the night “treats”

Options
2»

Replies

• HilTri
    HilTri Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    Air fried popcorn with cinnamon works for me. That or natural Greek yoghurt mixed with cacao powder, a small piece of fruit or for something really sweet a fibre one bar.
    Me too! Every night, I wrap up with a Fiber One Bar, Greek yogurt and some granola! Perfect night cap!
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Glass of wine.
    Book.
    Every single night.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    A piece of fruit and a cup of hot tea usually satisfies my need for a treat. For me, if there is TV involved, I found that it was more about giving my hands and mouth something to do while I watched.
  • maybe1pe
    maybe1pe Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I eat dinner. Then I eat my pre-planned dessert item for the night. Then I stop eating and don't go back for more. It took a lot to train my brain not to snack post desert but now that I have it's really quite easy. Probably took me a couple of months to get it down. But now post desert I never think about going back for more, I'm just done.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    My nighttime snack is usually Fage 0 with berries, a banana, chopped walnuts and cinnamon. I always leave room in my calories for this.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    Hey all,

Looking for some ideas for ideas for things I can use in place of dessert as a little reward or treat. I frequently have and look forward to relaxing at the end of the night with a bowl of ice cream or at least a square of ghiradelli salted caramel dark chocolate while watching a favorite tv show. I’m going to try to do some slightly healthier treats like the yogurt flips or mousse cups or at least just having one square of chocolate (and not the handful of mnms, stolen spoonfuls of ice cream, and several pb cups throughout the evening). But I would also like to come up with some other non-food things to substitute while still giving me something nice to look forward to. What kinds of things do you guys do for yourselves at the end of the night that you find particularly enjoyable, satisfying and relaxing?

Mmm, Ghirardelli salted caramel dark chocolate squares. This actually IS my bed time treat. And if you are in New England, they are on sale at Market Basket for $3.00 per bag plus a coupon for $1 off two.

For a non-food bed time ritual, I get in bed under my new weighted blanket. They were on sale for $100 off over Memorial Day weekend.

https://www.weightingcomforts.com

(But I bring a square in bed with me, and I eat it really really slowly, nibbling around the edges first and letting the chocolate dissolve in my mouth before taking another tiny bite.)
  • ljashley1952
    ljashley1952 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Good post! I'm fine during the day, but I'm an evening grazer. Control the urge to snack in the evenings is the hardest thing for me to do. I have to agree with the cup of tea before bed idea. If I can keep my fingers busy doing some knitting or playing solitaire or something similar, I don't think about munching so much. Brush teeth, go to bed early and read.

• generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I used to be a big night eater- I'd have something sweet, then something salty, then sweet... until I was sick.

Now, I set aside my dessert cals when I prelog. Usually some sort of rich chocolate cookie, or nice ice cream portioned out, or a homemade dessert. I try to keep it under 200 cals but sometimes it's over and that's okay. Tonight, I'm actually having some fresh red cherries for 'dessert' because I LOVE them and they cost me $6 a lb haha.

Non-food things I'll do to wind down: reading, painting my nails, taking a bath (and reading), writing Harry Potter stuff ;) I love puzzles too, especially the big ones that are difficult because they are very consuming.
  • rkcampbell
    rkcampbell Posts: 188 Member
    Options

I save 200-300 calories for chocolate or ice cream every night. It keeps me sane and on track. When I tried to cut them out completely, I ended up binging on them.

A little every night and staying within my calories > cutting them out and causing a binge eventually.

Me too!!!
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Hey all,

Looking for some ideas for ideas for things I can use in place of dessert as a little reward or treat. I frequently have and look forward to relaxing at the end of the night with a bowl of ice cream or at least a square of ghiradelli salted caramel dark chocolate while watching a favorite tv show. I’m going to try to do some slightly healthier treats like the yogurt flips or mousse cups or at least just having one square of chocolate (and not the handful of mnms, stolen spoonfuls of ice cream, and several pb cups throughout the evening). But I would also like to come up with some other non-food things to substitute while still giving me something nice to look forward to. What kinds of things do you guys do for yourselves at the end of the night that you find particularly enjoyable, satisfying and relaxing?

My biggest tip for "midnight snackers" is to pre-log. I personally love a bowl of cereal before bed, but in order to fit my macros I just log it in the AM and fit the rest of my day around it. Some simple low-cal treats are Cool Whip + strawberries or raspberries + Walden Farms Chocolate syrup, Siggi's yogurt + Walden Farms Maple syrup + Super Seedz Cinnamon Sugar seeds or a protein bar
  • DomesticKat
    DomesticKat Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Lately I've been mixing frozen berries with yogurt and sometimes adding a cut up banana. Most of the time I'll have halotop, greek yogurt, or a protein bar after dinner.
  • ultra_violets
    ultra_violets Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Canned whipped cream is amazing: it's got practically nothing in it. Almost no calories, carbs, fat or sodium. It's good on any kind of berries, ice cream or a snack pack pudding cup (100 cal). When it's hot out, I'll stock up on Outshine fruit bars, gelato or sorbet. I also stick by the tried and true square of dark chocolate. The darker it is, the better for my health (and it's almost impossible to binge on). It all depends on the day I've had and what my macros look like after dinner.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    I try to "bank" about 200 calories so that I can have a snack at night. I just cut out small portions of what I eat during the day to make sure I have room for my evening snack.
  • rmorion1
    rmorion1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Great replies here! Just staring back on dieting and fitness. I’ve been using the Outshine bars & trying fruit. My problem is the sugar cravings like soda & cookies at night.
  • pinksunnyrose
    pinksunnyrose Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Switch the cookies for a green apple, sliced with lots of cinnamon on top. Can sub with an orange or strawberries too.