Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Baking literally burns off sugar calories??

bikecheryl
bikecheryl Posts: 1,431 Member
I found it interesting that this hasn't really been studied before.

They make a distinction between different types of sugar, but still .........

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/second-opinion-baking-calories-1.4690996

Replies

• bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,431 Member
    Bottom line, no.

It doesn't get hot enough to alter the molecular makeup.

Ok, I don't profess to understanding all of the science behind it.

So what did they get wrong ?
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    In my experience there seems to be a small but noticeable difference in my blood sugar from what's expected based on browning - supposedly this applies to the crust of breads too, the crust having fewer carbs by weight than would be expected. Interesting that they found different results from different types of sugars - were the researchers sponsored by a particular sugar interest or anyone else who might have told them to focus on that?

For normal people I doubt that it would make much difference. For me as a diabetic, it's just a small thing to be aware of.

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    The only time I've browned sugar is making caramel sauce. Are they actually baking these cakes, or just browning the sugar, then making cake batter and not baking the cake?
  • Stockholm_Andy
    Stockholm_Andy Posts: 803 Member
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    I don't necessarily think they're wrong but I do think that the calorie loss isn't important in the grand scheme of things. Since it's fairly impossible to get a 100% accurate picture of the calories that we eat every day, a 5-8% loss in sugar calories in baked goods won't really make a difference.

What they are saying though is that in a cake with invert sugar, they found the digestible or available calorie content decreased by 36 per cent, while in cake with sucrose, it declined by about 12 per cent.

For people who like cake an additional 24% decrease would seem like a good thing to me.

I haven't read the research so I don't know if it's true or even plausible as I don't like cake so I don't really care. However, if they could do the same thing to potato chips I'd be all ears......
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Some thoughts.
    - If there were a measurable difference the insulin dependent diabetics would have figured it out by now.
    - I’m not so sure that the less digestible sugars won’t count towards tooth decay.
    - Butterscotch will start pouring off the shelf. The new superfood.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    I don't necessarily think they're wrong but I do think that the calorie loss isn't important in the grand scheme of things. Since it's fairly impossible to get a 100% accurate picture of the calories that we eat every day, a 5-8% loss in sugar calories in baked goods won't really make a difference.

What they are saying though is that in a cake with invert sugar, they found the digestible or available calorie content decreased by 36 per cent, while in cake with sucrose, it declined by about 12 per cent.

For people who like cake an additional 24% decrease would seem like a good thing to me.

I haven't read the research so I don't know if it's true or even plausible as I don't like cake so I don't really care. However, if they could do the same thing to potato chips I'd be all ears......

I don't know any cake where the total sugar even makes up 36% of the calories. There's a whole lot of fat and starch in there.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited June 2018
    When sugar is cooked hot enough to be black and crusty, basically inedible, it's been carbonized. The calories in sugar is the energy contained in the bonds holding carbon, oxygen, and hydrogen together. Carbon isn't sugar. The sugar added to yeast bread is mostly consumed by the yeast in the hours of rising which are allowed before baking.

In the case of this study, I can certainly imagine that a lot of people will have 200% the serving size because of the 20% calorie from sugar saving by baking with invert sugar, even when the nutrition label doesn't mention invert sugar at all.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    So 12% reduction means 88 calories instead of 100. over the course of 24 hours, unless you're weighing to the gram, that ends up as noise against logging accurately.

the invert sugar is more interesting, because 36% means 65 calories vs 100 or 88 but I noticed that the baked goods also looked different, which suggests possible flavor or texture differences. This matters, especially for baking.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    I tried to tag lemurcat12 but she appears to have deactivated?? I thought she'd be interested in this discussion.
    Anyway, tagging to follow.
  • stanmann571
    @lemurcat12
    I tried to tag lemurcat12 but she appears to have deactivated?? I thought she'd be interested in this discussion.

• Stockholm_Andy

I don't know any cake where the total sugar even makes up 36% of the calories. There's a whole lot of fat and starch in there.

It was only 36% of the calories from Sugar I believe NOT the total calories. I'm just quoting what they said.......
  • Stockholm_Andy
    So 12% reduction means 88 calories instead of 100. over the course of 24 hours, unless you're weighing to the gram, that ends up as noise against logging accurately.

the invert sugar is more interesting, because 36% means 65 calories vs 100 or 88 but I noticed that the baked goods also looked different, which suggests possible flavor or texture differences. This matters, especially for baking.

I googled inverted sugar/syrup as I didn't know what it was but according to the 100% accurate Wikipedia its a mixture of water and sucrose which is often used by bakers to keep stuff moist. I seems it's already used in baked good so there's no "extra" reduction if commercial bakers use it already.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    @lemurcat12

right. I tried that.
    Page not found
    Sorry, but the page you requested was not found. Please check the URL and try again.
  • stanmann571
    edited June 2018
    @lemurcat12

right. I tried that.
    Page not found
    Sorry, but the page you requested was not found. Please check the URL and try again.

@stanmann571

test
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member

Oh, so it's not something on my end. Saw a post of hers with the default avatar and was sad.
  • stanmann571
    @lemurcat12

right. I tried that.
    Page not found

Weird. Hope she's ok.