Can't advance in bodypump

Options
I'm a 32 y/o female. Here are my weights:

Warm up - 7 kg
Deadlift / row/ clean & press / squat - 12 kg
Chest - 7 kg

I've been doing bodypump for a few months (two to three times per week) and I'm in a bit of a standstill. My main issues are: I find it difficult to switch weights in the middle of the track (class moves really fast). But I can't get through a full track with heavier weights. I feel too intimated to step into the weight area to focus on the weight rather than the number of reps. I feel like I am ultimately doing a cardio class rather than a weight training class. The instructors on the other hand lift much heavier weights and have much greater muscle definition than any class participant, which leads me to believe that it is the instructors' weight training that is producing their physique rather than the bodypump classes.

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Did you start at the 7/12 kg? or did you start lower.

Bodypump is definitely cardio with weights rather than weight training, but that's the extent of my understanding of bodypump.

Are those primarily barbell or dumbbell lifts?

Is there space to stage a lighter weight set near your workspace and move over rather than switching weights??

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    If you're not confident enough to try it on your own and you're not getting what you want out of the class, why not see a one-to-one trainer for a couple of sessions on the weights, that way you can focus on your own goals with them, maybe get a bit more confidence and do it at your own pace, but with someone giving you that little push.

The class alone is unlikely to be the only reason for the instructors physique, a lot of it is also down to their diet and lifestyle.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    It's a muscular endurance class. The endless reps do account for cardio respiratory work though. There's a big difference in progressive strength training and Bodypump. If you want to progress more effectively, you should do structured weight lifting programs that focus helping you to increase the resistance. Stronglifts is a good example.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    I'm a 32 y/o female. Here are my weights:

Warm up - 7 kg
    Deadlift / row/ clean & press / squat - 12 kg
    Chest - 7 kg

I've been doing bodypump for a few months (two to three times per week) and I'm in a bit of a standstill. My main issues are: I find it difficult to switch weights in the middle of the track (class moves really fast). But I can't get through a full track with heavier weights.

I have 2 bars when I do body pump - one with heavier weights (10-12kg) for squats, lunges, chest and back - and a lighter one for warm up, biceps and triceps (6kg). If there are enough bars, maybe you could try this and switch down if/when you need to?
    I did it regularly for a year and didn't progress much past where you are - I still felt like I was working hard during the classes but for me, especially on the back track it was my grip that failed me.

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    I feel too intimated to step into the weight area to focus on the weight rather than the number of reps.

After a few weeks, you'll realize that everyone in the weight room is focused on themselves and their music and they couldn't care less what you do, and that you were worrying over nothing. If you follow a good program like NROLFW or Stronglifts, you'll know more than a lot of the dudes there. :+1:
  • walking2running
    walking2running Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I am going to try work out with a second barbell. The fitness room is usually pretty packed, and the second barbell might be a challenge when it's really crowded.

I also do want to try a couple of sessions with a personal trainer but I want to hold off until I reach my goal weight. It might seem silly to you, and I agree that most of it is in my head, but it is intimidating to step into that area of the gym. Especially being a former fat kid, the trauma stays with you lol.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I am going to try work out with a second barbell. The fitness room is usually pretty packed, and the second barbell might be a challenge when it's really crowded.

I also do want to try a couple of sessions with a personal trainer but I want to hold off until I reach my goal weight. It might seem silly to you, and I agree that most of it is in my head, but it is intimidating to step into that area of the gym. Especially being a former fat kid, the trauma stays with you lol.

I'd highly recommend sorting the lifting sooner rather than waiting til you get to goal weight, it will help you better maintain your muscle whilst you lose fat and can do wonders for your body composition. I personally am not keen on the gym, so I have a barbell and dumbbells at home, when I got to the point I wanted to lift heavier I had a personal trainer come to my place and go through my form and a workout plan with me. I can definitely tell the difference even at the same weight when my focus switched from cardio to strength.