Any walkers for fitness on here?

Options
2»

Replies

• cprice1311
    cprice1311 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to add walking/jogging into my morning routine. Anyone on here use Map My Walk? I could use some more friends on there! My name is Crystal Price on there if anyone uses the app.
  • ttippie2000
    ttippie2000 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I think I average about 15k steps a day. If my Garmin is right, that basically equals the calories I burn from triathlon training. So, yeah, it matters. It also winds up being a great way to spend time with my wife and puppies.
  • cherys
    cherys Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I love walking and hiking. I walk most days for 30-60 mins if I can.
  • huntersvonnegut
    huntersvonnegut Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    Yes, walking is my main form of exercise. About 5-9 miles per day sometimes wearing a weight vest.
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,792 Member
    Options
    I walk a 5K about 3-4 times a week. It depends on my other activities, but walking is my normal go to.
  • DrizztGirl82
    DrizztGirl82 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I walk every morning! I love it!
  • kelsiesco
    kelsiesco Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Walking is my favorite type of exercise! It is my me time, I try to get out every night if I can!
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    I love walking! I am averaging about 130 miles per month right now. I golf 3-4 days a week pushing my clubs 7 miles per 18 holes of golf. If I am not golfing I am up at 6 am am I walk approximately 3.5 miles.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Walking is my main exercise. I walk over an hour most days.
    I have also started walking to and from appointments 1-2 miles from my home this year. I would not have done that a few years ago. A few years ago just walking a few blocks was really hard on me and I struggled to keep up walking across a parking lot. I was incredibly happy to keep up with family again. I feel much more independent and confident now that I walk more.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    I lift, do crossfit, and run. I also walk. A lot. People think I don't have a car because my feet are my primary mode of transportation! I walk about 5-10 miles a day.
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Me and the doggo walk 3 to 4 miles daily. On sundays we often go hiking.
  • eduktn
    eduktn Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just retired at the end of May and resolve to get healthy. I started walking 12,000 steps daily, but I get frustrated that I don’t walk very fast. Sometimes I think I should walk longer to account for the lack of speed. I walk on a bike/walk path and often am passed by other walkers, bikers, and joggers. My knees are arthritic, but moving helps them be less stiff.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    eduktn wrote: »
    I just retired at the end of May and resolve to get healthy. I started walking 12,000 steps daily, but I get frustrated that I don’t walk very fast. Sometimes I think I should walk longer to account for the lack of speed. I walk on a bike/walk path and often am passed by other walkers, bikers, and joggers. My knees are arthritic, but moving helps them be less stiff.

You are doing great! Keep the pace that is comfortable for you! Also, if you have access to a swimming pool, walking and exercising in the pool is easier on your joints.
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I checked with the American Heart Association website to find out what my pulse should be during exercise at my age, and in order to keep in their guidelines, I don't walk very fast. So slow compared to my friend, but I am also trying to maintain good posture, which is easier at a slower pace. It must be helping me because my blood pressure is getting better also. So I would not get frustrated with your speed, 12,000 is a lot of steps.