I need shoe advice...or suggestions

Options
I've recently been looking for some new shoes, either running or cross-training. I was wondering what the community on Myfitnesspal are wearing and what brands you think are decent.

Replies

• hararayne
    hararayne Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I agree with k9education above, but since you asked and I'm obsessed, I LOVE Merrell barefoot. I have three pairs. I have the barefoot pace glove, barefoot lithe glove, and a slip on that I use while running around at work. (light errands, office work, etc).

I love the pace glove the most. It gives my arches support via the lacing, I have lots of toe room and I like feeling the ground to a degree, without hurting myself of course.

Word of warning, its true you have to break yourself into using barefoot technology. I took it slow and walked and switched back and forth when I got mine. I still ended up with an injury though due to wearing the slip on ones on a 5 mile run/walk. They don't have laces for support. They feel somewhat similar on so when I left the house late to meet my workout buddy, I decided to just go with the slip ons that have no support.

That said, I love Merrell as a company and I love the pace glove. Just be careful that you wear a supportive laced barefoot if you go that route or you can be in a world of hurt for quite awhile.
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Go to a store like DSW, where they have a huge inventory & lots of name brands. Stick w/the name brands, but other than that, the main thing is that they are comfortable from the moment you try them on and feel cushy...sort of like they spring back when you try to bounce in them. Usually I tend to keep ending up w/Saucony or Asics, which also tend to be on the cheaper end of the name brands. One guy at a sporting goods shoe store said that too many people go for the expensive name brands & they usually aren't as cushy. Some people say the less cushy shoes last longer, but for what you pay for them, you could buy TWO of the cushy brands.
  • ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different but as for me I was a longtime New Balance fan until I put my foot into a Brooks shoe, I don't think I'll ever run in anything other than a Brooks again.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for good running/cross-training shoes and plan to actually work out in them, like going on a run not just out on some short scenic walks, the best advice is to go to a running store and have them do a gait analysis. Then you can get shoes that fit your feet. It makes a major difference.

With that said, I always used to get Nikes, but after doing a gait analysis and trying on multiple different styles/brands, I ended up buying Brooks Ghost 5, and I LOVE them! I run about 12 miles per week - right now - and plan to increase that as I'm currently doing 10k training and will be moving on to half marathon, then full marathon training.
  • leahcarrie
    leahcarrie Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all this advice! You guys are awesome.