Accurate calories burned?!?!

Options
So I know we should put the calories that MFP give us but what about when it comes to speed. For instance if I get on the treadmill and MFP gives me 75 calories burn for 4 mins but I walked on a .8 mph I'm sure I burned less than that. Do I still put the calories that MFP gives me or do I adjust it?

Replies

• CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    I adjust mine. You kind of have to develop your own voodoo based on how it is affecting your rate of loss or ability to keep a stable weight. I usually use a little over half the number I get from mmw (MapMyWalk) while some others find it more accurate. Start conservative and add about half. Add more if your rate of loss is higher than you are calculating for. That takes a while to know for sure unfortunately.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I'd agree that 75 calories burned for 4 minutes of a very slow walking pace is an overestimate. By how much is hard to say. If that is literally all that you did I wouldn't bother trying to adjust your calories. Later on if you become more active and you are getting estimates of 500 or 600 calories from exercise then you probably will want to be eating some of that back and just judging over time how those adjustments are working for you.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Agree. It is definitely more art than science in the calorie estimating game. Leave some net calories on the table everyday, adjust as you see your loss rate converge on a trend.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I estimate 10 calories a minute.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I estimate 10 calories a minute.

Doing what? Nobody burns 10 calories a minute walking at a snail pace.