Coffee Creamer alternatives to Half n Half?

Options
Apologies if this has already been discussed; I didn't find it during a quick search. I'm a nursing student / caffeine addict and MFP revealed to me that I'm taking in an obscene amount of calories by half n half creamer. Obscene.

My coffee is usually fairly light by the time I dump enough in................

Are there any good alternatives? Lower calorie but also not totally chemical? Also- milk just isn't gonna cut it. Grody. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Skim milk is my go-to. Protein and low calories.
  • jaena4
    jaena4 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Posting to see the comments - I have the same problem. I put so much junk in my coffee that it's just way too many calories. I've been forcing myself to drink it black during the week and then I make the doctored coffee a weekend treat. But it's hard for me to get excited about black coffee.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    I use Califa Farms Coconut Creamer.
  • zilkah
    zilkah Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Part half and half , part skim . Those mootopia or fairlife milks have great protein content in the milk - so I use those .

Also like the suggestion of bottled protein shakes as your creamer
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I used to use a ton of 1/2 and 1/2...I just cut back on it. I mostly drink my coffee black now as I discovered that when one is drinking good quality coffee that it doesn't need much. I prefer a medium roast...sometimes my wife brings home a dark roast which is too bitter for me to drink black, so I'll use a little 1/2 and 1/2...not much, just enough to cut through the bitterness of a dark roast.

Milk doesn't really do it for me unless it's whole milk which we never have in the house anymore...and I'm not particularly partial to things like coffee mate and whatnot. If you're going for an alternative like that, make sure you read the labels as some of them contain partially hydrogenated oils (trans fats) which is just about the only thing that I will say is inherently bad for you regardless of dosage.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened almond milk. 30 calories per cup! You can make your coffee very pale and still not add a lot of calories.
  • Smaronoah
    Smaronoah Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I just want to say thanks for each and every response! You guys are awesome!!
  • TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened cashew milk is my fav! It’s the creamiest of the low cal plant milks that I’ve tried. Really yummy and only 25 cals per cup!
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Bcaas coffee creamer from man sports
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Coffee Mate Artisan Creamer is delicious...it doesn't take much and it's delicious! A protein powder of your choice also makes a nice creamer.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. When I was on shift work I measured my coffee by the carafe, not the cup. I gradually loved the taste of coffee and slowly cut the sugar and then the cream. I still prefer a small shot of cream generally, but depends on the brew and the blend. The darker the brew, the less cream. I want to savor good coffee.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,391 Member
    Options
    I know you said milk doesn't work for you . . . I'm wondering whether it might work to taper to it, part half & half, part milk, over time?

Personally, I put (literally) 6 oz of hot nonfat milk in each of my daily coffees, and get a nice addition to my protein goal (2 coffee = 12g protein, 128 calories = works for me as an ovo-lacto veg). Not saying that would work for you, though.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Don’t need any creamer with a nitro brew!
    t7dfrlau81n6.jpeg