3 hour Waterfall Rappelling trip calorie estimate?

Options
I am super excited to go on a Waterfall Rappelling trip this Sunday. I am also quite a fastidious preplanner of food and exercise. The reason I joined myfitnesspal was because I was constantly starving (eating way too many carbs and not enough protein) and consequently eating way too many calories. SO I am trying to get some semblance of how much exercise a 3 hour trip would be.

I assume there will be some talking/showing/ waiting for you turn. There is hiking to and from and in between rappelling spot, so perhaps 1.5 hike and 30 mins of rappelling??? The 30 mins of rappelling gives me a calorie burn of 102 calories, which seems high but that time estimate might be too long.

I plan to update the numbers afterwards on my best estimate of what I did and we are planning on stopping at brewery/restaurant afterwards, so I would like to have a good idea of extra calories before going in.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Replies

• DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    You'll like cover something like 3 miles in an hour and a half of hiking. Assuming that the terrain will be a little gnarly and maybe you'll be toting a pack, 200 to 300 calories wouldn't be an unreasonable guess.

Likewise, 100 calories for the actual rappelling seems pretty safe. Even if it's off it's not off by a ton.

Basically, I'd call the entire trip about 400 calories. Let it pay for a beer and a couple of wings but don't go crazy with the extra food.