Cheat Day Advice for a Binge Eater

Options
pdw901
pdw901 Posts: 2 Member
Quick summary: I have had food issues and have been overweight my whole life. Got way out of control a couple years ago and ballooned up to high weight of 339 after first baby. Got down to 250 doing low carb but went back up to 320 after last baby. I started doing low carb again but it’s just not coming off like it did the first time. I’m currently at about 290 after several months. Anyway, I am very determined to get the weight off and have been reviewing where I might be going wrong. I thought maybe I was consuming too many calories while technically eating a low carb diet, so now am doing a low cal low carb diet (along with exercise). Another thing that occurred to me viewing all my MFP weigh ins over the years is that I have been losing and regaining the same 20-40 lbs for like 3 yrs. I do well for awhile and then have a “cheat day” that turns into a cheat weekend, etc. If I would have been continually going down instead of regaining half of it with cheat days I would be at my goal weight by now. So I decided I’m sick of wasting my own time with excessive cheat days that undo half my progress. As I mentioned I am being very strict right now, but am going on vacation this month. While I want to enjoy myself and share in pizza, drinks etc, I don’t want to undo what work I’ve done so far. Eating this strictly on a permanent basis is also unsustainable. Does anyone recommend a sustainable medium such as one cheat day a month vs maybe treating yourself at one meal per day but staying within your daily calorie goal etc? Or should I just white knuckle it and go for an extended period of time eating strictly until I get a significant portion of weight off and to try to break my overeating habit? This is one of those things that I feel like is probably common sense to people with normal relationships with food but as a food addict I could use some insight. Thank you!

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I think you just answered your own question: Don't eat too little - get in good nutrition every day. Don't try to be good - aim to feel well. Eat food you like and enjoy it - don't consistently overeat. Allow yourself pleasure from food - don't cheat.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I never considered it a "cheat day", but when I was losing weight I typically ate at maintenance on Saturdays.
  • born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    My main goal each day is to ensure that I get enough protein within my calorie allotment. Depending on what I'm eating for that protein, some days I have no calories to spare but other days, I have plenty of room and can afford something like a cupcake, a bowl of ice cream, a chocolate bar or some other treat. Find the foods that are most satiating to you for the least calories, play with your meal plans and figure out a way to fit in small treats as regularly as you'd like rather than setting aside a cheat day. Remember, too, that not all treats are created equally. Rather than ice cream for 280cal or more a serving, try sorbet for 70cal or so. Choose a smaller chocolate bar. Look at low calorie options like sugar-free jello and diet pop.

If you think of this as a diet, something temporary, something you can cheat or if you restrict your eating too much, you are more likely to struggle. It's important to adopt the mindset that this is a permanent change and figure out how to make it work with what you have available in terms of calories and foods you enjoy if you want long-term success.

Best of luck! You can do this.