Keto diet & vitamins

I started on a low carb/keto diet last month & wondering if I should also be taking any types of vitamins. I feel fine, but just curious if I should be taking any, for the long run.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Are you worried that you're not getting enough of what you need nutritionally?
  • ChristinaPCharles
    ChristinaPCharles Posts: 9 Member
    I’m on the keto diet so I can relate. I take a Womens multi and Vitamin D I also eat nutritional yeast sprinkled on foods they are rich in b vitamins. It’s hard to get in all of your nutrients through food, so supplements are helpful. I get the gummy kind so I know they will dissolve hth
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,727 Member
    Go to your doctor and get tested for vitamin/mineral deficiencies. You should never supplement with vitamins and/or minerals "just because".

Why not?

Unless you're supplementing dangerously high amounts, which is a bad idea, the worst thing you're doing is making expensive Pee, and getting a good placebo effect.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    I started on a low carb/keto diet last month & wondering if I should also be taking any types of vitamins. I feel fine, but just curious if I should be taking any, for the long run.

What types of food are you eating (or not eating) to make you think you are not getting all your nutrients?

• FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    It depends what you’re eating—“keto” is really broad. I’m on it myself, don’t supplement with anything except salt, and just got back perfect bloodwork, because keto CAN be a complete diet, if that’s what you’re worried about. There’s nothing inherently lacking from it. But just like with any other way of eating, your version MIGHT be lacking something, if you’re eating the same few things every day or restricting above and beyond what you’d need for keto.
  • lhebert1969
    lhebert1969 Posts: 63 Member
    Thank you all for your replies. I believe I am eating what I need to, so I don't think I would need any vitamins, but I just thought I'd ask for any thoughts or suggestions. :smiley:
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    I second the nutritional yeast or you can get brewer's yeast. Lots of B vitamins in those.
  • Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    What about fiber, I'm always curious is people on Keto are getting enough fiber each day? 25g women, 38g men?
  • FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    edited June 2018
    What about fiber, I'm always curious is people on Keto are getting enough fiber each day? 25g women, 38g men?

I eat an avocado almost every day, and leafy greens, berries, and nuts make up the rest. I’m usually over on avocado days and a bit under on other days, but I believe on average I clear 25g easily.

People who eat fewer carbs than I do tend to say that you don’t actually need fiber if basically all you’re trying to digest is meat, but I haven’t tried that and don’t think I will, so I can’t really speak to it.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    edited June 2018

If you are doing Keto correctly and consuming lots of leafy greens and fibrous vegetables, fiber ins't a problem, though admittedly, I'm usually in the 15-20g range. I don't seem to have any digestive issues and I can promise you, I get a ton more fiber than my H who eats a SAD.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited June 2018

I am always well below the recommended fibre intake but I feel MUCH better that way. Less gas and bloating and less bulky BMs, and less constipation. I rarely eat more than 20g of carbs - half of it is usually fibre but I am happy with that.

IMO, fibre intake has more to do with keeping a diet higher in carbs healthy. I do believe that fibre is not that helpful in digesting protein or fat.

ETA If anyone does have information that fibre assists in fat and protein digestion, I'd be happy to read it. :)
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member

Unless you are entering your stools in for competition, you do not need to overdo it with the rough stuff (insoluble fibre). Plus there is plenty of digestible and non digestible fibre in veg (green leafy stuff), berries, nuts.

Plus a diet high in fat should keep people regular!

• LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member

Unless you are entering your stools in for competition, you do not need to overdo it with the rough stuff (insoluble fibre). Plus there is plenty of digestible and non digestible fibre in veg (green leafy stuff), berries, nuts.

Plus a diet high in fat should keep people regular!

AMEN to that, brother! I have been doing Keto for a few months and just added the Bulletproof "Brain octane Oil" to my coffee (following the suggested doses - ha!) and man o man! Regular ain't the word, man! LOL! Sheldon (yes, THAT Sheldon) would be proud!!!!
  • Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    What about probiotics? Anyone doing keto take one?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited June 2018
    What about probiotics? Anyone doing keto take one?

Not me. I try to avoid antibiotics so I don't worry much.