I need some help, fitness pal friends!

Options
I have always been very vigilant about my diet/food consumption and fitness. Back in March of this year, I was 130 pounds, 15%-16% body fat, doing weight training, and cardio and and heated power yoga - many times all in the same day. I'm 5'11" tall, and 52 years old. Although I wasn't perfect, I was fairly happy with myself and continued to strive to be stronger and better.

Long story short, in mid March, my daughter had a very serious car accident and I flew cross country to be with her. We stayed in the hospital over 7 weeks. Needless to say, I did nothing during that time and only stressed ate - a lot! When she was finally released a few weeks ago, we flew home to start her recovery. I was horrified when I got on the scale that I had gained 15 pounds and am at 22% body fat. I tried to get back in my old routine, but I have no stamina, and NO MUSCLES! My favorite part of my body was my back as the muscles we well defined. It one big squishy area now. :(

I know it's going to take time to get back into shape, but I'm getting really frustrated. I'm counting calories again and maintaining a deficit. I'm exercising every day for at least two hours. I don't drink alcohol or drink soft drinks. I eat clean - mostly veggies and a little lean meat now and then. I have not dropped A POUND!!! It's been just over 2 weeks and I think I should see some improvement. No improvement in muscle mass or definition either. I'm so depressed.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get back to losing some of this weight. It's like walking around with a 15 pound weight all day long. Simply exhausting! Any suggestions would be welcome!

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Are you using your food diary, and a food scale?
  • calderstrake
    calderstrake Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I just bought a scale for the same reason. I think I eat pretty decent and track everything, but I'm lacking precision. The more detail you can track, the better informed your decisions will be for diet and exercise.

Oh, and get at least seven hours of sleep every night. ;)
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Even 15 lbs heavier you are already at the low end of the healthy weight range. 130 seems really low.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    monikagood wrote: »
    I have always been very vigilant about my diet/food consumption and fitness. Back in March of this year, I was 130 pounds, 15%-16% body fat, doing weight training, and cardio and and heated power yoga - many times all in the same day. I'm 5'11" tall, and 52 years old. Although I wasn't perfect, I was fairly happy with myself and continued to strive to be stronger and better.

Long story short, in mid March, my daughter had a very serious car accident and I flew cross country to be with her. We stayed in the hospital over 7 weeks. Needless to say, I did nothing during that time and only stressed ate - a lot! When she was finally released a few weeks ago, we flew home to start her recovery. I was horrified when I got on the scale that I had gained 15 pounds and am at 22% body fat. I tried to get back in my old routine, but I have no stamina, and NO MUSCLES! My favorite part of my body was my back as the muscles we well defined. It one big squishy area now. :(

I know it's going to take time to get back into shape, but I'm getting really frustrated. I'm counting calories again and maintaining a deficit. I'm exercising every day for at least two hours. I don't drink alcohol or drink soft drinks. I eat clean - mostly veggies and a little lean meat now and then. I have not dropped A POUND!!! It's been just over 2 weeks and I think I should see some improvement. No improvement in muscle mass or definition either. I'm so depressed.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get back to losing some of this weight. It's like walking around with a 15 pound weight all day long. Simply exhausting! Any suggestions would be welcome!

So you were a very lean female, and over 7 weeks gained 15#. I would guess that most of your muscles are still there - just a bit covered. In terms of adding muscle mass, two weeks is not nearly enough, especially for a female, to notice/measure addition of muscle mass using equipment available to the general public. If you are using those "lean mass" scale measurements, forget 'em - they are not accurate and the amount of water in your body at any given time will affect that lean mass number.

Given the amount of stress you have been through, I would suggest some proper recovery time - eat at a slight deficit, allow yourself time to build back up to your "old routine" (and remember that when you were doing your "old routine" before, you were most likely eating at maintenance), and practice chilling out.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    It could be that some of this weight gain is hormonal and harder to lose. After all, you aren't young anymore. I know that for myself, I gained 10 lbs easily after age 50 and can lose them but can't keep them off.

I would say to diet and exercise but be practical. 2 hours in the gym everyday isn't smart either. You don't want to hurt yourself.

Have you spoken to your dr?

Also - you're 7 inches taller than I am and weigh a lot less. And I had some nice muscles when I weighed less too. Muscles weigh something ..... I find it hard to believe that you weighed 130 lbs !!!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    monikagood wrote: »

Some of that weight gain is surely water weight from the stress of the trip, and from getting back into exercise. Give it more time :)

However, is 130 pounds at 5'11" correct?
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Please....be patient with yourself!
  • monikagood
    monikagood Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the many responses. And yes, I was 130. At my thinnest, which was too thin, I was 125. That's just my body type. mqc9vnapmx0b.jpg This picture was taken earlier in the year. Everyone is different. I know on paper is sounds weird, but if you'd see me, you would see is was not underweight. I also know I'm not a spring chicken anymore, but I've been athletic all my life, and I've never weighed this much (other than pregnancy). It's frustrating and depressing. I don't think it's water weight. It's real pounds put on by not eating well, stress, and no exercise (which was my daily therapy). I guess it will just take some time and patience...