Compression gear - beneficial?

Options
I own two sets of UA compression gear (shirt and shorts) and wear them under standard fitness performance shirt and shorts when I'm doing HIIT classes or intense weight training.

I'm considering purchasing the new series with the heat vents and a thought occurred to me... is this even a good use of my resources and time?

Does anyone think feel they are getting a benefit from using compression gear or is it really just up to the individual (like wearing sweat jackets)?

Replies

• jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Benefit in what way?
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Do you think you are getting a benefit from them? If so go for it, if not don't.

I think the scientific community is still undecided as to any measurable benifit
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    In my judgement, it's personal preference given what the individual is comfortable and confident wearing.

What sort of benefits do you think you're getting? My understanding is that the science on the benefits of compression wear as it relates to circulation, stability, and athletic performance is rather mixed. That said, I have a drawer full of UA stuff that is super comfortable and works very well for the specific applications for which the fabric is designed; temperature and moisture management, etc.
  • Kalex1975
    Kalex1975 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I use Tesla compression base layers when I exercise because it helps keep all the loose skin I have from my weight-loss in place and not flopping around... so, it is beneficial in that respect. I am not sure if there are other benefits (real or imagined).
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    It's comfortable, moisture wicking and heats/cools appropriately.

What sort of benefit would you want beyond that?

Cool in summer, warm in winter, dry most of the time. and gives a bit of a tactile hug while training.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I like compression pants or shorts; I can't exercise in floppy clothes. People with injuries like the sleeves and the socks.

I don't know that it helps otherwise.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I like UA compression capris because I feel like they provide a little extra stability for my knee, which I injured several years ago. This might be purely psychological rather than a physical benefit. I wouldn’t expect compression gear to do anything dramatic, but there’s nothing wrong with it if you like it.
  • calderstrake
    calderstrake Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Well for me, I *think* I'm getting a benefit of stability in range of motion and movement. Theoretically, it's wicking the sweat away faster than not using it, but I can't really prove that.

Has anyone compared the solid fabric to the newer fabric with the heat vents or cuts in the fabric?
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    Well for me, I *think* I'm getting a benefit of stability in range of motion and movement. Theoretically, it's wicking the sweat away faster than not using it, but I can't really prove that.

Has anyone compared the solid fabric to the newer fabric with the heat vents or cuts in the fabric?

I assume you're referring to the SuperVent line? I've not tried any of that line but have a few non-compression shirts and shorts in the Armour Vent line which I believe the SuperVent replaces, and like them. The material itself seems to be the same as regular heatgear but a little thinner and stays dryer. Not real sure what effect the holes have for cooling in relation to non-vented heatgear. For what it's worth if you go on UA's web store and click the SuperVent tab I don't see any products currently listed, just a message stating "Sorry, we're currently working on more gear in this category. Check back again soon or contact us now - our Customer Service team is always ready to help."
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    AFAIK, the answer is still undecided.

What I do know is that for compression to be beneficial (if it is beneficial), it has to compress. Simply being tight isn't enough. There's a lot of tight clothing out there... not all of it is compression, regardless of what the label/packaging says.

So, when you ask your question... are you talking about next-to-skin layers, or are you talking about actual compression gear?
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I use them keeps the jewels in line. Prevents chaffing. The Sweat wicking seems to work well. I love my long ones for the winter months, when outside training it makes me able to keep my gear lighter because I don't need as thick of an outer layer. I also when I put them on it, I get in the right head space for working out. Mental trick I guess. I don't feel like I get any benefit in movement or strength or stability or anything like that.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,991 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I've got lots of U/A (and other brands) of compression shorts & tshirts. About 10 each. I wear them all the time in lieu of traditional underwear; not just when working out.

Don't know if there is any specific benefit to wearing them. Just like the way they look/feel on me as wekk as their quick dry characteristics. Cotton t's and shorts suck.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    I use compression gear, but I also have a lot of excess skin on my stomach due to massive weight loss.

Why do you think you need it?
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,508 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine training without it !

giphy.gif
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 2,000 Member
    Options
    Working out I don't wear specifically compression gear - leggings, yes, but that's just because I find them comfortable.

Racing I wear compression socks designed for riding and a compression shirt (along with capri-length leggings). There are very noticeable benefits to the socks, especially on my "bad" leg. The shirt I find more comfortable overall, but can't say that there are measurable benefits beyond that.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I'm more comfortable running in compression shorts and shirt, but more because it keep things from flopping around, both my belly and other "parts".

Other than that, I see no need for them.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Yes compression style leggings are beneficial to me. They ... hold everything in place..
  • Dani9585
    Dani9585 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    Yes compression style leggings are beneficial to me. They ... hold everything in place..

What she^^ said. It benefits my self-esteem and confidence :)
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    I'm more comfortable running in compression shorts and shirt, but more because it keep things from flopping around, both my belly and other "parts".

Other than that, I see no need for them.

Basically the same concept as sports bras (a compression top) for women. Bouncy is not comfortable when running.
  • calderstrake
    calderstrake Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    VUA21 wrote: »
    Why do you think you need it?
    I subscribe to Maslow's ideas, so I definitely don't think I need them for any reason at all.

My theory is that the new fabric will wick away the sweat faster and ordered a set to test the theory. I had the idea that wearing the compression gear is just plain better, but now I'm re-thinking some of my previous notions and this is one of them.

I'm also looking into sleeveless vs. tank top vs. muscle shirt vs. short-sleeved in HIIT and weight training scenarios.