Runner with a broken leg

Options
nikkit321
nikkit321 Posts: 1,485 Member
I've been training for a 10k but fell and broke my fibula on Memorial Day. I'm looking for suggestions as to how to maintain my fitness and lungs while I sit out 6-8 weeks. I'd also appreciate suggestions on how to resume running after the dr clears me. Thanks!

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    nikkit321 wrote: »
    I've been training for a 10k but fell and broke my fibula on Memorial Day. I'm looking for suggestions as to how to maintain my fitness and lungs while I sit out 6-8 weeks.
    It's not going to happen. I mean you can try running on the sled walker they give you, but you'll just end up imbalanced.
    I'd also appreciate suggestions on how to resume running after the dr clears me. Thanks!
    Talk to the PT after you're cleared.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately there is little you can do right now as you take time to heal. I broke my ankle (fibula and tibia) and I had a long recovery as I had to learn to walk again after surgery, screws and plates inserted. Focus on your food intake and keep logging and once the doctor releases you to put weight on it and walk, do so, but listen to your body. Start slow and know over time, you will get back to your 10k training. Just takes time.
  • AE0626
    AE0626 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I broke my ankle badly (needed plating) about a year ago and I was instructed by the surgeon not to do any high impact activity for 9 months or so. I had no problems once I started running again but the wait was frustrating as I'd only just got back into it before my accident.

As far as general fitness - can you rent a wheelchair and go out exercising in it? It's a lot harder than it looks!
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,975 Member
    Options
    Might be a good time to shift your focus for a bit. Unfortunately, there's not a lot in the way of cardio besides crutching around that you can do while laid up (although that can sure work up a sweat!).

You could, however, work on upper body, core, and even some glute type strength training. Since it's just your fibula, I'd guess you won't be laid up all that long, but some leg injuries can have people laid up for a very long time. My tib/fib pilon fracture had me off my feet completely for about 3 1/2 months (and that was very fast timeline according to my ortho) and I couldn't resume "normal" workouts until nearly a full year after, and still seeing improvements 18 months past the injury.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Talk to a physical therapist. Depending on where you go and what your doctor's general protocols are there may be things that you can do now that will help preserve some of the muscles that you would otherwise lose. In terms of cardio, see if you can find a gym that has an arm cycle. It likely won't be as intense cardio wise as you want, but it's something.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    depending on the set up - (and clearance from doc/PT) - could you do cycling on a recline bike
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Fibula takes forever. I’m still in an air boot from mid April. You are on hiatus.

The first four weeks were “no load bearing” so I was getting a good upper body workout.

I found some baby exercises to keep things limber (wiggle the alphabet with the big toe).

Once cleared I’m going to go through the C25K again.
  • Vladimirnapkin
    Vladimirnapkin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    As others have stated, this will be very hard. I do suggest that you still set aside regular time and go to the gym and do something. It's good to remind yourself that you are still an athlete. Even if you only get to stretch and do some upper body stuff.
  • Slainte831
    Slainte831 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Any chance you could go swimming?
  • Shazbotxo
    Shazbotxo Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I broke my fibula and was in plaster (no weight bearing) for 6 weeks - I found that when I returned to sport my fitness hadn't changed all that much. Hobbling around on crutches was enough to keep me fit and I lost a fair bit of weight. Unfortunately you will just have to be patient, and don't plan on doing any actual running for a few weeks after you get the all clear.
  • kbmnurse1
    kbmnurse1 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I would focus on upper body strength training. I have a feeling it will be longer than 6-8 weeks before you can run again.