Low mood/Lacking motivation

Options
How do you deal with it when you don’t feel so motivated and would give anything to just have some junk food to feel better but you can’t? I feel at the mercy of my emotions. When I’m feeling good and motivated, eating well and exercising is great and I enjoy it. But when something goes wrong or I’m highly stressed, the craving is intense. I know I’ll feel better, for a short while, if I eat something bad. How does one ride out these emotional episodes and keep focused and keep going?

Replies

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,718 Member
    Options
    How do you deal with it when you don’t feel so motivated and would give anything to just have some junk food to feel better but you can’t? I feel at the mercy of my emotions. When I’m feeling good and motivated, eating well and exercising is great and I enjoy it. But when something goes wrong or I’m highly stressed, the craving is intense. I know I’ll feel better, for a short while, if I eat something bad. How does one ride out these emotional episodes and keep focused and keep going?

This is what you need to keep repeating to yourself over and over again until you believe it and remember it.

Also, make a list (something you can access at all times) of all the alternate ways you can ride out the stress: go for a walk, listen to music, meditate, read, etc. Having tools to deal with stress is key.

Cravings are just that: a craving and not a need. It will pass and every time you don't give into it you get stronger.
  • etfan
    etfan Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Great advice above from BZAH10! Motivation ALWAYS comes and goes. You can’t rely on it to sustain you. Work to establish new habits to substitute for eating when a craving strikes. A walk, deep breaths, music, etc. and don’t give up or expect perfection. This is what I try to remember.
  • Leezy55
    Leezy55 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above, go for a nice walk, get up and dance to some fun music, talk to a freind on the phone! Have a big glass of water. Don't let stress and emotions defeat you, you are stronger! Easier said than done I know, but you can do it!
  • Candyspun
    Candyspun Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I’m eating well and exercising to improve my mood. Among other reasons, of course. I don’t wait for the motivation fairy to jump on my shoulder. I try to just do it before I have the chance to think about talking myself out of it.