Regain after WLS.....this ends now!!!

Options
BWiley98
BWiley98 Posts: 16 Member
Hey ya'll. I had weight loss surgery in 2016. I lost about 80 pounds and have steadily gained half back.....but how??? (Drinking a TON of wine..not drinking enough water...copius amounts of snacking...not exercising like i was).....i have no idea :/
Whatevs....my point is that i have pinpointed my mistakes and am determined to lose the weight for good. Have any of you relost weight gained post WLS???

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Not personally, but I hear it happens, so don't feel alone!

If you are interested I think these two links are extremely helpful and can help you get the most out of MFP:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

The first covers accurate logging and some of the tools in MFP to help you make things easier. The second discusses caloric needs and setting goals. These two posts completely changed my MFP experience and helped me be much more successful, so I hope they do the same for you.

~Enjoy
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,672 Member
    Options
    While WLS addresses the amount someone can consume TEMPORARILY, it DOESN'T address the behavior that lead to it in the first place. That's why many people who have had WLS do gain a good portion of it back. And usually not where they want it to settle. So make sure that you have a PLAN OF ACTION and commit to it or else it'll be easy to go back to where you start from.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,672 Member
    Options
    Hi guys My name Joe and i ve been using the low carb diet to help me with losing weight my target goal is 190 and am about to 20 over can use any help you guys are willing to provide
    Unless you're WILLING to eat low carb the rest of your life, there's no real need to do it (unless it's been recommended due to health issues like diabetes, etc.). Lots of people take on diets they can't sustain hence weight regain. CALORIES are what matter more than anything else and if you can find an eating plan you can do for life, that's the one you do.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    my sister figured out how to outsmart the system; she didn't lose any weight for a year after the surgery. it's not the same thing but I get what you mean.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Were you utilizing MFP to track your calories at any point in your weight loss process? If not, go ahead and fill out (or update) your profile and get MFP's calorie recommendation. Start logging accurately & faithfully. Don't let this be a burst of emotion that so many have- "this ends now!"- and then fail to take concrete steps to get yourself on track. At the same time, don't try to change your diet & lifestyle overnight & flame out. Just commit to logging your calories and staying within your calorie goal for now. Do you still have the support of your medical team available?
  • cmcmommy
    cmcmommy Posts: 197 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I had surgery 3 yrs ago this month - i lost 140 lbs .Over this past winter i gained 20 lbs - being lazy eating JUNK. In feb my mother died and the 2 weeks she was in hospice i admit i ate mostly breads and junk food adding another 10 lbs on me . I'm currently at 201 ( 25 Lbs of that regain ) . I struggle DAILY. tracking food and exercise . Its hard because MFP isn't for WLS people so when i eat 1000 cal its says you haven't eaten enough . Most day Itry to stay between 800-1000 I have noticed if i eat 1200 or more i gain . I think this is due to our small stomachs . Currently Im doing 3-4 protein shakes and 1 small protein meal a day - BUT believe me i still have my moments of cheating Its in our heads NOT our stomach . Good luck on your journey . I just want to be back under 200 and for some reason my body keeps fluctuating from 200-202. Feel free to send me a friends request
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    cmcmommy wrote: »
    I had surgery 3 yrs ago this month - i lost 140 lbs .Over this past winter i gained 20 lbs - being lazy eating JUNK. In feb my mother died and the 2 weeks she was in hospice i admit i ate mostly breads and junk food adding another 10 lbs on me . I'm currently at 201 ( 25 Lbs of that regain ) . I struggle DAILY. tracking food and exercise . Its hard because MFP isn't for WLS people so when i eat 1000 cal its says you haven't eaten enough . Most day Itry to stay between 800-1000 I have noticed if i eat 1200 or more i gain . I think this is due to our small stomachs . Currently Im doing 3-4 protein shakes and 1 small protein meal a day - BUT believe me i still have my moments of cheating Its in our heads NOT our stomach . Good luck on your journey . I just want to be back under 200 and for some reason my body keeps fluctuating from 200-202. Feel free to send me a friends request

It's true- MFP is designed for the majority and what is generally accepted as safe & healthy for the average user. MFP may not let you close your diary for the day, but it is still tracking your intake. No biggie.

I am not a WLS patient, and would absolutely defer to someone who is more knowledgeable on the topic ( @jgnatca ?), but I don't believe reducing the physical size of your stomach changes a persons BMR or how much you need to cut calories in order to lose weight- only how many calories you are able to take in at one time. 3 years out from surgery, I wouldn't think your calorie needs would be any different than the average person, and if your results aren't bearing that out, there are likely logging issues (again, I would happily be corrected).