Does running ruin your knees?

Options
2»

Replies

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Why on earth did someone woo me over saying that strength training is important to prevent injury? I’m talking basic body weight squats and core work to ensure you have adequate muscle definition in the areas you use while running. It’s not like I said you need to do some sort of rain dance to ensure a good run. How is that woo-worthy?

It's good advice, and the exercises you mention are often part of a knee injury rehab routine too. People think "woo" means anything from "yay" to "I think you're an idiot." There's no telling what the person actually meant.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that explanation of woo. I thought it was an agreed upon diss. Not a fan of that button either way!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    It's not a given. Good form is really important. Genetics help, too.
  • mkculs
    mkculs Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    At age 59, I've been a runner most of my life, even through the past 20 years of obesity. Mostly I've run on trails, but still there have been many road miles in my life, too. The only time my knees hurt is when I need new shoes. I have the bones of a 25 year old woman and running has probably contributed to that. Stressing our bodies in the right way turns out to be really good for them.
  • ljashley1952
    ljashley1952 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Just my opinion, but I don't think running will ruin your knees. I have had both knees replaced and I have never been a runner. It is arthritis that eats away at the cartilage, eventually requiring the surgery. Or possibly an injury. My brother-in-law is in his 70s and has been a life-long runner, yet he has had no knee problems. I don't know about long-distance or marathon running, but with good shoes and no injuries, I don't think running will ruin your knees.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I think some of it is bad luck - genetics and health issues. I love running but I've had bad knees since age 11, and my knees crackled by time I hit university. I love running long but my knees have never been able to withstand much. I couldn't go past 20 km without swelling and injury no matter what I did.

I don't think running caused my bad knees, but running does not help them.
    Thanks for that explanation of woo. I thought it was an agreed upon diss. Not a fan of that button either way!

You're also low carb - that's cause enough for some. ;) LOL
  • como_agua
    como_agua Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    i ran for 30 years. i absolutely LOVED running - it was my salvation. unfortunately now my knees are shot - bone on bone and arthritic now. but i daresay i had poor form, i'm sure! and back when i started running - the shoes on the market were garbage. i miss running so much but if i attempt it even for a bit - i pay big time for it....
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    chunkytfg wrote: »
    Triathlete here. 3 iron mans, 5 marathons, 1 double marathon, countless Half marathons.

My knees are fine. My mum on the other hand has never ran a day in her life and has had both hips and one knee replaced and the other knee needs doing! So in my experience not running gives you bad knees! Haha

I haven't run since 1991 and I developed bad knees in 2009, so... :lol:
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Nope. Being obese was ruining my knees.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Why on earth did someone woo me over saying that strength training is important to prevent injury? I’m talking basic body weight squats and core work to ensure you have adequate muscle definition in the areas you use while running. It’s not like I said you need to do some sort of rain dance to ensure a good run. How is that woo-worthy?

Some people see the "woo" as "WooHoo!!!".

I happen to agree on the weight training for better running. Years ago (early 20's), I decided to start running and everything hurt. Fast forward 20 years later, lost a bunch of weight, did 1 year slow recomp, started lifting....now I'm slowly getting back into running.... No pain, no soreness, just working on endurance (still can't jog 2 miles in a row, but I'm getting there).