Weird weight loss patterns

Options
2»

Replies

• nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Pear here. I’ve put a lot of work into building my shoulders to balance out my butt.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I'm the opposite. I have chicken legs and a spare tire around the middle. I actually think I look worse now than when I started because at least before I was more even. I'm in the middle of my weight loss, and hoping at some point I will start to even out a bit. It's gotta start coming off my belly at some point, right?

I feel your pain!
  • smantha32
    Options
    annaskiski wrote: »
    So Lyle McDonald discusses why women tend to store fat in their lower body, and why its harder to get rid of, in his Women's book.

Its kind of lengthy (read chapter 10 if you have the book), so to summarize:

Both men and women store fat after eating in their upper body. Upper body fat is easier to access than lower body fat (different type). When you need energy, upper body fat is metabolized. Women actually metabolize (release) much more fat than men when they need it (about 40% more), and this circulated in the blood until used or energy is no longer required (I mean, they are not being consumed ).

Here's the kicker though:

Of relevance to the topic of fat patterning, readers may remember the direct fatty acid storage pathway I mentioned in a previous chapter, a pathway by which fatty acids released from one fat cell can be stored/ re-esterified in a different fat cell. Which is exactly what is going on here. Fatty acids which have been released from the upper body fat cells, but which are not burned for energy, can eventually be stored in lower body fat cells. This occurs more in lean women than in lean men and to the greatest degree in obese women, probably due to the increased amounts of total fat and fat cell number in the lower body.

Lyle McDonald. The Women's Book (Kindle Locations 3620-3622). Lyle McDonald.

Does he say if there's any way to effect it?
  • smantha32
    Options
    You guys are making me feel a lot better. lol
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,985 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain!

I lose from above my waist, up, and from a few inches from the top of my legs, down. Those areas will be trim and slim, loooooong before my body will get rid of the obnoxiously large "love handles" I have. My stomach may be flat, even getting some definition, but I still have these big blobs attached to the sides and slightly to the back right at my waist, making my front facing profile looking like a rather different person than a side profile pic would.

It's EXTREMELY frustrating! My face looked thin and saggy for a bit, but seems to be tightening up and smoothing out now that it's been awhile.

I don't know that fat will ever "even out" on my body, so it's just going to be "keep losing until those obnoxious blobs are gone off my middle."