Has strength training or cardio given you personally better results

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,482 Member
    JBApplebee wrote: »
    Both. 9Round is a combination of cardio & strength training & I wouldn't have it any other way. Doing my first 5k mud run tomorrow & can't wait.
    I wouldn't say it's strength training. It's MUSCULAR ENDURANCE training. How do I know? Because I attend 9 round as well.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    again both ... they do different things neither of which I want to be without
  • PennyP312
    PennyP312 Posts: 161 Member
    Have to agree with the majority...both. Heavy lifting has changed my body but cardio (stair stepper & spinning mostly) is so good for my health (physical and mental!) the key is to keep your body moving in a way that is enjoyable and sustainable FOR YOU!
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Anything you are actually going to do consistently is better than something that might be theoretically best for whatever your goal happens to be. As noted above, strength training and cardio have fairly distinct benefits - my primary goal is all-around fitness, so I lift weights and run outdoors (in the winter I do mixed calisthenics). The primary benefits of lifting have been increased strength for my daily activities and improved physical appearance. The primary benefits of running have been increased cardiovascular functioning, endurance, and mental health (I get a bit of mental health benefit from lifting but not to the same extent). Calisthenics also had a marked impact on my balance and coordination, which is especially helpful during the icy winters where I live. I have not found either strength training or cardio to be especially helpful for weight loss, and in fact have been struggling to lose since I started running again regularly about six weeks ago. It's certainly possible for exercise to help with weight loss, but it's much too easy to compensate with food if you're not careful.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,253 Member
    'Both' is always an option. Usually, it's the best option.
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    I stated with mostly cardio because I felt it was the easiest way to drop pounds with the higher calorie burn. I wish I had spent more time on strength because I just got skinnier and skinnier, which isn't really the look I wanted for myself. Now I'm firmly in camp do both. For about two years that meant "boot-camp" classes with weights/kettlebells three times a week but recently I've realized that's still not heavy enough for the aesthetic I'd prefer so I've started training for powerlifting over the last month and I've already noticed some difference in my body. Plus I really enjoy it so much more, and I believe doing something you enjoy already puts you at an advantage because you'll be more likely to stick to it.
  • allisonlane161
    allisonlane161 Posts: 269 Member
    edited June 2018
    Both. Strength gives me what I consider an attractive shape, broad shoulders, tighter waist, but cardio gives me the healthy heart (with a low 50's resting hr), and more quickly burns off fat since I do like to eat. But I do cardio after strength training since the strength reduces the glucose energy source and hopefully I'm more efficiently fueled by a higher percentage fat when I get to the cardio.
  • BNY721
    BNY721 Posts: 125 Member
    Strength training for me has yeilded far superior results...cardio has its place...but my composition changed lifting heavy *kitten*.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    I think each person has to answer the question training for what? That greatly helps you make choices about how to proceed. Picking goals also gives training some meaning. The goal can be as simple as wanting to be able to walk/hike/run/bike/swim/kayak/SUP some distance at some speed.

(I will not denigrate appearance goals, but I have found them much less motivating in the long run-- joke intended.)
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    I have heard both sides from some people. Please explain your own personal experience. We all know that a calorie deficit is key for fat loss. Lately it seems a lot of people are saying that cardio is only best for your heart. Thoughts ?

Yes. They've both given me better results, that's a big part of why I do them. Lifting me life easier and makes me faster on the bike and on skis. Cycling and skiing and being outdoors makes life richer and more enjoyable.
  • ttippie2000
    ttippie2000 Posts: 412 Member
    I think each person has to answer the question training for what? That greatly helps you make choices about how to proceed. Picking goals also gives training some meaning. The goal can be as simple as wanting to be able to walk/hike/run/bike/swim/kayak/SUP some distance at some speed.

(I will not denigrate appearance goals, but I have found them much less motivating in the long run-- joke intended.)

Yes, this exactly. Can I slip an expert boxer's 2-3 combo? Can I tap out a purple belt? Can I set a PR on a triathlon? Those things I find to be fun and motivating challenges. But do I get motivation from standing in front of the mirror watching the old guy looking back at me? No.
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 339 Member
    I guess in terms of answering your question you need to quantify what you'd call a result?

As this is basically a weight loss forum then for me cardio is king. I can go and smash out a 4-6 hour cycle on a day off, burn a bunch of calories and put myself into a massive calorie deficit while doing something I really enjoy. Pure cardio also got me to the finish line of 2 Ironmans.

However when I found myself chasing times when running I discovered how important lifting and other strength based training was. I do it because I need to to get the results I want but I don't really 'love it'. I do it as means to an end. Since adding Strength based training into to life my times has plummeted even if my weight stayed a bit stagnant.

Now i'm eating better the weight is coming down too so hopefully i'll be even quicker soon.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited June 2018
    I have heard both sides from some people. Please explain your own personal experience. We all know that a calorie deficit is key for fat loss. Lately it seems a lot of people are saying that cardio is only best for your heart. Thoughts ?

Cardio is short for cardiovascular...as in your cardiovascular system. Cardio improves your cardiovascular system...why is this important? The cardiovascular system consists of the heart, blood vessels, and the approximately 5 liters of blood that the blood vessels transport. Responsible for transporting oxygen, nutrients, hormones, and cellular waste products throughout the body, the cardiovascular system is powered by the body’s hardest working organ...the heart.

As a matter of general health and well being and overall fitness, both are really important. Cardio is going to do very little in the way of body composition changes...lifting will do a lot in that regard. It's good to have both a strong cardiovascular system as well as a strong body.
  • pattyhouse1970
    pattyhouse1970 Posts: 51 Member
    For me, I do both strength and cardio. I have a leg day, ab day, upper body day, and a 'functional' training day. On the 5th day, I either do some yoga, stretching or cardio. Tuesday and Thursdays, I jog/walk 4 miles. Seems Most Sundays I do the walk/jog thing too.
  • etmadmin
    etmadmin Posts: 1 Member
    Both. I use an on-line WOD generator 3 days/week as they include cardio. The other 3 I run/rest intervals mixing the time running but keeping the rest to 1 minute. 68 years old
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Yes
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,967 Member
    I get the majority of my "cardio" through martial arts.

I enjoy strength training.

The key, ultimately, is finding something you enjoy. I also have other reasons for needing both strength and endurance, but tend to do most of my "endurance" training during the off-season for my races and just try to maintain with the MA over the summer months when it's harder to stick to my day-to-day workout routine.

I also enjoy the aesthetics from lifting, so there's that factor, too.

Personally, I loathe most any "steady state" cardio, be it running, walking, bicycling, rowing - doesn't seem to matter. I find them torture, at best, barely tolerable on occasion. So, I don't make it a regular part of my workouts except for planned, shorter periods of time (few months in the winter for example).
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member

As others are saying, depends what you want to achieve. My objective is to be able to run a 50 miler, the only way to do that is to run quite a bit.

I also need to do some strength training to maintain core strength, as that plays in to pursue, so making me less fatigued after a long distance, and helping to avoid an overuse injury.
  • huntersvonnegut
    huntersvonnegut Posts: 1,176 Member
    edited June 2018
    I do both but I’m much more consistent with cardio in the form of walking. It’s more convenient for me to do it every morning regaryof the weather for the most part. It’s helped me lose 40+ lb in the last three years. That and logging my meals. I also wear a weighted vest.