41 days... Still working at this...

Options
pznatti
pznatti Posts: 51 Member
edited June 2018 in Motivation and Support
MFP is so deceiving. It announces I have a loss of .4 this week. Yay, right? Well, I have lost .4 after gaining 2 last week. So MFP doesn’t tell the whole story.

My body just wants to hang on to this weight and has wanted to for the past 3 years. I had tests done to see if it is a medical issue - nope. The 2.5lb loss in 41 days is better than a gain... I’m not giving up.

I’m trying something new. I joined the premium to enable me to calorie cycle and vary my calories daily. I have to wake up my metabolism. And if I lose 2.5 every 41 days, that’s about 22lbs in a year. I need to remember that.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Deceiving? A stupid machine that can only give you numbers, it gives no judgement; you have to understand what it's telling you, interpret it, and use it as feedback to adjust or continue what you're doing. If you aren't losing at the expected rate, revise your expectations, or your logging, or both.

You can't see a loss of 0.4 pounds, your normal day to day fluctuations can be a couple of pounds.

Your body has no will of its own, it sheds fat when you're in a true, consistent calorie deficit.

If your metabolism is sleeping, you're not struggling with weightloss anymore, you're dead.

Calorie cycling can help you with adherence to calorie deficit, but if you're not logging correctly, you're not going to lose any faster.
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    I agree with kommodevaran! If you're not losing weight, then you are not creating a deficit in calories. Either tighten up your logging or check your exercise calories to make sure they aren't too high causing you to eat back calories you haven't truly earned yet.

Side note: I do get what you are saying about MFP being deceiving. I tuned off the news feed button to alert my friends when I have lost weight. I feel that if it's going to tell my friends that I lost weight, then I also what it to tell them I gained weight (without me having to type it in every time).

• pznatti
    pznatti Posts: 51 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Those were some strong words. Yes, of course MFP is only as intelligent as it’s programmers... And I do think the programming is deceiving when it reports losses to my stream and not gains. I am going to take the advice to turn off weight loss sharing so it doesn’t report solely losses and maybe I can log gains/losses on my own.

The actual loss/lack thereof itself isn’t deceiving, and the slowness of my progress is a lesson that I need to change things if I want to lose more.

And as for calorie deficits, I do know and understand about them. And obviously I have not yet created enough of one to satisfy my hope to lose 1 lb a week. When I created my calorie cycle schedule, I used a calculator to calibrate my BMR then used that to figure out a solid number to aim for weekly to create a lower deficit.

My post was a shout out that I’m changing things up instead of giving up.