HIIT versus tabata

Options
I know they are only slightly different forms of interval exercise, but I wish the app had HIIT as well as tabata as an exercise for logging. My intervals of high intensity are 30-40 seconds with 10-20 second rest periods. Tabata is only 20 seconds on then 10 seconds off.

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    What makes you think that's going to generate a meaningful difference?
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    And how come it doesn't have a difference for a bike ride on 700c vs 29er wheels? :wink:
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    And how come it doesn't have a difference for a bike ride on 700c vs 29er wheels? :wink:
    And 700c vs 650b! Why won't they have graduated levels of average power?! ;)

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    kaliwom4n wrote: »
    I know they are only slightly different forms of interval exercise, but I wish the app had HIIT as well as tabata as an exercise for logging. My intervals of high intensity are 30-40 seconds with 10-20 second rest periods. Tabata is only 20 seconds on then 10 seconds off.

Your rest breaks are about 1/3 of the total time either way. What matters the most is how hard you’re working the rest of the time and the app can’t tell you that. It’s all a general estimate.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    kaliwom4n wrote: »

If you are pushing higher intensities, you reach a point where it is more similar to lifting in the sense that calorie burn isn't that much but you feel like it should be. If you're using a bike, elliptical, or treadmill, the time vs distance calculations that lead you to calorie burn should still be fairly close. If you are doing body weight type exercises or circuits, anything that properly accounts for the time/reps should be close.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,882 Member
    Options
    It doesn't make much sense to log something as the type of intervals you think it is (HIIT, Tabata). People do the same intervals (timings, like 20" on, 10" off) with vastly different activities: Calisthenics, running, biking, rowing, etc.

If I do Tabata intervals on a stationary bike, I'm going to have lower energy expenditure than Tabata intervals on a rowing machine. I'd log it as stationary biking or machine rowing, not Tabata.

Log it as the activity type.