Sweating

Options
Ok so according to the calorie counter on the treadmill at the gym I don’t burn much despite how much running I do. I wind up dripping with sweat when I’m done after 15 mins of being on treadmill. I feel like because I sweat that I actually burn more calories. So my question is, if you sweat more do you burn more calories? Do you lose more weight by sweating more? Do you truly lose more inches by sweating more? I’m confused and need clarity. Thank you.

Replies

• generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    No, you don't necessarily lose more weight by sweating more except maybe a bit of water weight. Some people naturally sweat more. Some medications can make you sweat more easily (or not much at all- I stopped sweating for months while on a migraine prevention med).

I've read that fit people tend to sweat more easily. So it could be that you're getting fitter and more efficient at sweating and cooling your body. It could also be the humidity in the air. So many factors that it's really not worth worrying about.
  • 2baninja
    2baninja Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I wish there was a correlation between how much you sweat and how many calories burned, if that were the case, I'd be thin in a matter of weeks..... but alas it isn't so.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Sweating means you're overheating, not that you're burning more calories. Running burns a lot of calories, but calories are burned over time. 15 minutes of running will not burn a whole lot of calories, although it's still a substantial bonus for the time spent and can get you a decent snack.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    no
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Of course you lose weight when you sweat. Water weight.
    And then you put it straight back on when you drink fluids to replace the water you dripped all over the floor.

If you want to burn more calories then run further.
    Not over-heating so much might help you achieve that so get a big fan or turn the air-con down.
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Sweating is your body’s response to an increase in body temperature not exertion. You can sweat whilst burning 0 calories. You can sweat whilst consuming 1000s of calories. Sweating has nothing to do with burning calories.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Nope. Sweating is your bodies way of cooling off. If sweating burned calories, everyone in the deep South would be rail thin.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I don't sweat at all when lifting weights in a well air conditioned gym. My ex husband sweated like a pig while doing this.

You can lose inches from sweat - think cellophane wrapping - but this is just water and comes right back when you rehydrate.
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I wish there was a correlation between how much you sweat and how many calories burned, if that were the case, I'd be thin in a matter of weeks..... but alas it isn't so.

^Amen. I am a sweaty person and it sucks. I belong to a running group and live in the South. We do long runs on Sunday. Every year, I amaze the group with my sweating abilities. People won’t run next to me in the summer because sweat tends to “flick” off me. It’s gross. It’s like having the lamest superpower in the world - Super Mega Sweat Girl. Lol

I’m gonna ask what’s probably an obvious question but just in case - you have been to see a doctor about your sweating? It’s probably nothing but could be symptomatic of an underlying issue.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I run for about 1-2+ hours per session and would consider myself to be more fit than average. I also wear a camelbak, so I'm staying hydrated the whole time. I don't even start sweating until I've been running for at least 20 minutes. Even after miles of running I'm never drenched, just really "glistening". It's an individual thing. Some people sweat just sitting around. It doesn't seem to matter how much I sweat, though. I still don't burn much more than about 115 calories per mile (unless I'm running hills and then I get quite a few more.) I sweat more when the temperature is high.

But if you normally don't sweat much, and you are sweating a lot because your heart rate is up from vigorous activity, then it could be a good sign you're also burning more calories. So more sweat for you may be an indication of greater calorie burn, since it's also an indication of greater physical effort. :)
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    VUA21 wrote: »
    Nope. Sweating is your bodies way of cooling off. If sweating burned calories, everyone in the deep South would be rail thin.

And they probably would be if it wasn't for sweet tea, biscuits and gravy. :smiley:
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    15 minutes of running is still going to burn a lot more calories than 15 minutes of many other workouts. Just start adding a little more time to each run or doing other exercises afterwards.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options

And they probably would be if it wasn't for sweet tea, biscuits and gravy. :smiley:

And BBQ, potato salad, and fried catfish.... All the good stuff.
  • snemberton
    snemberton Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I'm currently being quite lazy and relaxing in my hammock outside. It's 82 and about 50% humidity out here. I assure you I'm not doing enough activity to burn more calories than I do when I'm sleeping, but I'm sweating enough to be drinking a little extra water to prevent getting dehydrated today. Sweating isn't a good indication of calorie burn.
  • snemberton
    snemberton Posts: 175 Member
    Options

And BBQ, potato salad, and fried catfish.... All the good stuff.

Pie. Do you know how many different amazing variations the south has on the simple pie?