Ditching the diet? Perceptive stuff here.

Options

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    "Self-weighing is a safety behavior that maintains the overvaluation of weight, which is part of the American Psychiatric Association’s definition of eating disorders. Continued concern with weight or shape at the end of treatment has been found to be a strong predictor of relapse back into an eating disorder. A powerful strategy to reduce overvaluation of weight is to consider a personal 30-day “no weigh” experiment.

Other safety behaviors that aim at gaining information about one’s shape or size – such as mirror checking, pinching the fat on one’s torso, feeling muscles or bone, engaging in social size comparison, and seeking reassurance from others about one’s body – all have to be considered for elimination. Each one of these examples can be a safety behavior that serves to maintain undue concern with one’s weight and shape, and in turn, keeps the eating disorder alive."

That part hit me right between the eyes.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I knew it - we are all doomed :s
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Jeeze, I do all of that :neutral:
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I think there’s a line between wanting to keep an eye on CICO (so weighing and tracking food and body weight) and being obsessive about it.

I’m certainly not clever enough to know where that line is but a warning sign for me would be someone who can’t have an occasional treat. Or who can’t ever countenance eating something that is “nutritionally poor” (and I’m conscious that that’s a hot button for some people). These things would suggest to me that someone is struggling to find the balance between living healthily and living well.

But, as always, mental health and well-being is hugely subjective.
  • SagePeach
    SagePeach Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I quickly gained 20 pounds after I switched to weighing once a month.

I've cut back on my weigh-ins, after being in maintenance for several years now, and yep-I'm currently up several pounds :p
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    The advice in the linked article is clearly aimed at people who are recovering from an ED. I don't see it saying that those behaviors are necessarily bad for everyone, just that you might need to avoid them during recovery.

That's exactly right - ED is right in the article title. This is one of the suggestions in Intuitive Eating, which was developed by nutritionists who worked with ED clients. Here's an article comparing Mindful Eating and Intuitive Eating:

https://www.foodinsight.org/mindful-intuitive-eating-differences-eating-pattern

You might view Intuitive Eating as a superset of Mindful Eating, tweaked for those with eating disorders. I did a continuing ed course in mindfulness, in which we five minutes experiencing and eating a single raisin - truly appreciating every aspect of the experience.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I had no mirror or scales after I changed countries for 3 years. On the third I got a scale and finally realized I've gained 30lbs. I've lost them now but if I don't check out myself on the scale I might gain a lot before I realise it.
    I don't have an ED.