Off topic: Ibuprofen stops a period??

Options
G8r4evr
G8r4evr Posts: 45 Member
I had a wisdom tooth pulled last week. Took 800 mg Ibuprofen 2 times a day...didn't think anything of it. A few days later, My period started on time, but it is barely there. Like no need for a liner, wouldn't even know I started if I wasn't checking. Has anyone heard of Ibuprofen lightening your flow?

Replies

• G8r4evr
    Options
    Thanks! Reducing I get, but I'm barely even spotting. So confused. All other symptoms are normal though and it's right on time.
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    This would’ve been helpful to know 2 weeks ago :grumble:
  • G8r4evr
    Options
    caco_ethes wrote: »

I'm still shocked. No idea why I never heard of it. Just wondering if it's a coincidence or not. I mean, it's not light, it's barely there.
  • caco_ethes
    Options
    G8r4evr wrote: »

I'm still shocked. No idea why I never heard of it. Just wondering if it's a coincidence or not. I mean, it's not light, it's barely there.

Maybe you’re pregnant :bigsmile:
  • caco_ethes
    Options

lol

On the bright side, ibuprofen can't help you lose that half pound that is truly never coming back. ;)

It could if I took it until I developed a bleeding ulc-

Yeah, never mind. This is preferable.

And it was only 177 grams :sweat_smile:
  • huntersvonnegut
    huntersvonnegut Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    Does it work on apostrophes?
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Depends on how many tablets you cram in there.
  • caco_ethes
    Options
    SwannySez wrote: »
    Depends on how many tablets you cram in there.

:lol:
  • daniellewhiteliving
    daniellewhiteliving Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't take a high dose of ibuprofen for longer than a few days. It can cause internal bleeding amongst other things. There are tablets that can be prescribed for stopping or delaying your period from your doctor.
  • G8r4evr
    Options
    You shouldn't take a high dose of ibuprofen for longer than a few days. It can cause internal bleeding amongst other things. There are tablets that can be prescribed for stopping or delaying your period from your doctor.

I took exactly as prescribed by my dentist :)
  • G8r4evr
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »
    I rarely post in here because I can never tell if a question is serious :).

N=1 answer here. I used to take Ibuprofen for period pain. 3 in the morning, and then 2 every 4-6 hours for the first three days. Never stopped or slowed my period. If only...
    Dnarules wrote: »
    I rarely post in here because I can never tell if a question is serious :).

N=1 answer here. I used to take Ibuprofen for period pain. 3 in the morning, and then 2 every 4-6 hours for the first three days. Never stopped or slowed my period. If only...

Thanks for replying. Not the answer I was looking for, but I appreciate the response ;)
  • mram3582
    mram3582 Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    yes, my doctor told me to take 800mg to stop/lessen extreme bleeding. 1-2 tablets won't do anything. It has to be 800+
  • caco_ethes
    Options
    I was told to not take ibuprofen for two weeks prior to surgery because it can reduce your blood’s ability to clot. Seems like it would increase bleeding to me.

Source: I read google once
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Doesn't it work to constrict the blood vessels? I agree taking high doses is not good but under the direction of a dentist or other medical professional all should be well.
  • caco_ethes
    Options
    denny_mac wrote: »
    lstrat115 wrote: »
    @denny_mac is the resident period guru

Actually I'm fluent in all manner of punctuation.

Especially the colon
  • G8r4evr
    edited June 2018
    Options
    mram3582 wrote: »
    yes, my doctor told me to take 800mg to stop/lessen extreme bleeding. 1-2 tablets won't do anything. It has to be 800+

So maybe I'm not crazy. It didn't lessen my heavy flow, it all but stopped it. Craziness.
  • caco_ethes
    Options
    lstrat115 wrote: »
    @denny_mac is the resident period guru

Actually I'm fluent in all manner of punctuation.

Especially the colon

Especially your MOM's colon. ok, I'm not going to hijack this thread any further with more your mom jokes.

as you were everyone.

this is @lstrat115 fault for summoning me.

You didn’t let me make my joke about the interrobang :expressionless:
  • NewChapterInMyLife
    NewChapterInMyLife Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Stress can cause that. So if it was stressful to you you, this wisdom tooth removal, i would attribute it to that. It is stressful on your body even if not in the mind. Ibuprofen i doubt is the reason. I bet you'll get it in a few days. Your body just got confused for a min. Just my theory.
  • G8r4evr
    Options
    Stress can cause that. So if it was stressful to you you, this wisdom tooth removal, i would attribute it to that. It is stressful on your body even if not in the mind. Ibuprofen i doubt is the reason. I bet you'll get it in a few days. Your body just got confused for a min. Just my theory.
    It was definitely stressful on my body. He had to yank the sucker out...maybe that does have something to do with it. My usual 7 day heavy flow was 3 days of barely there spotting, but right on time and is gone now. Not sure if I am in the clear til next month or not.