Rice calories

Options
Rice calories on the bag. Is that cooked or dry. If it’s dry then how much do you eat cooked?

For example it says 180 calories for 1/4 cup of white rice. How much do I eat for 1 serving.

Replies

• jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    dry and then eat all of it
  • DragonHasTheSapphire
    DragonHasTheSapphire Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    It's dry, you eat all that is cooked. You could do a trial and cook just one serving, weigh or measure it out dry. After it cooks you can weigh or measure it out once it's cooked, just in case more than one person wants to eat rice. (That's what I did)!
  • jdog022
    Options
    It's dry, you eat all that is cooked. You could do a trial and cook just one serving, weigh or measure it out dry. After it cooks you can weigh or measure it out once it's cooked, just in case more than one person wants to eat rice. (That's what I did)!

This is why I started buying the 190 cal rice cups. no measuring or post cook measurements when cooking for more then me. just nuke 2 individual thingys and call it good
  • DragonHasTheSapphire
    DragonHasTheSapphire Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    jdog022 wrote: »

This is why I started buying the 190 cal rice cups. no measuring or post cook measurements when cooking for more then me. just nuke 2 individual thingys and call it good

Do they have an option of brown rice?
  • jdog022
    Options
    Yes. bought it once by mistake. Some flavored ones too.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    If cooking rice to serve other people as well as yourself: Weigh appropriate amount of dry rice to cook according to package directions. Weigh (empty) pot you will be cooking in (or container you will put it in after cooking). Cook rice according to package directions (usually directions are for four servings). After cooking weigh pot and rice and subtract weight of empty pot (or weigh container you put rice in after cooking, with the rice, and subtract weight of container) to get weight of cooked rice. Divide weight of cooked rice by number of servings you prepared (e.g., 4 servings) to get weight of a single serving cooked rice. Portion out that amount for yourself, or if you desire some other amount, divide the weight of your portion by the weight you calculated for a serving of cooked rice.

If cooking rice that only you will be eating, you can either proceed as above, if you want to be exact each time you eat from the batch of rice, or you can just eyeball a fourth of the total amount (assuming you made four servings), then a third the next time you have some, then half, then eat the final serving.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    jdog022 wrote: »
    dry and then eat all of it

Tee Hee! :D
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    The NI on the bag is for dry. If you are the only one eating it, then just cook one serving. If you are making more than one serving, weigh the entire cooked amount and divide by the number of servings.