Is Being Really Lean Really Worth It?

Options
I found this article that I thought was really interesting and I just thought I'd share it with everyone. What are your thoughts on it?
http://www.sparkpeople.com/blog/blog.asp?post=is_being_really_lean_really_worth_it

Replies

• dontdomornings92
    dontdomornings92 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    The "really lean" levels they're discussing aren't even visually preferable for most folks. It's kind of a funky topic. Are you interested in competitive bodybuilding? If yes, go there. If no, don't.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    only if your cattle...no just teasing

Some research has come out saying being on either end of the BMI is dangerous.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Yes. Just read the first article. I'm not strict, I'm a night owl, have taken a few hiatuses to have kids and started over a few times. I feel my best when I'm working out. I'm also not as lean as I wannabe, but happy and comfortable with my current, slow progress. I find it easy to gain strength/muscle after hiatus. The older I get the more fat I carry and the harder I have to work to burn it. But I fit as much as possible into my family life because I love it. It's a lifestyle choice :drinker:

Eta: I never been below 17% BF. Currently in lower 20's. BMI is normal range. Lean enough to show strength & hard work is good enough for me.

2nd eta: after 2nd article... again, boils down to lifestyle choice. I haven't yet ventured into competition, but have it on a backburner in my brain. It would be worth it to at least do it once and learn from the experience. If you can maintain it, power to you!
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Articles like this are really important to remind us that balance is important in our lives. I think it demonstrates why it's important to have goals that are non-physique related. Also I think this is why I have a problem with figure competitions. I know that some competitors are able to get competition-ready without using unhelthy measures but I think for a lot it isn't a healthy process and wouldn't leave you in peak physical or mental condition
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    For me, yes. I got down to around 9-10% a month or so ago, it was tough for me at that point, cravings got worse etc.. currently going to bulk back up to around 14-15% then cut down to 6-8% with every last bit of energy I have :-D
  • crandos
    crandos Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    that chick is hot
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    yea Balance is key...Its worth it to me to be lean and on the lower spectrum of BMI.
    I was just talking about this today on my page.
    At my age, Health is seriously important.
  • dontdomornings92
    dontdomornings92 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    No, I am not interested in body building in the least. I just happened to find these articles and I found them really interesting. What I got out of the article is that being healthy is far more important than physical looks.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    At my leanest, I had 17% body fat. I did NOT feel any of the horrible things the author did, but I was sporting a 6 pack, ripped arms and legs, and I looked and felt fantastic.

I am currently 22% body fat looking to get down to 16%. In short, YES, it is worth it.
  • gmallan
    Options
    yea Balance is key...Its worth it to me to be lean and on the lower spectrum of BMI.
    I was just talking about this today on my page.
    At my age, Health is seriously important.

Yep but I think the whole point of the articles is that lean doesn't necessarily equal healthy, especially for those who aren't natrually that way. Females are supposed to have a certain amount of body fat, which is why a lot of females lose their period when they lose weight. Not saying that it can't or shouldn't be done, I just liked how these articles pointed out that it isn't necessary to be healthy or fit.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    No, I am not interested in body building in the least. I just happened to find these articles and I found them really interesting. What I got out of the article is that being healthy is far more important than physical looks.

I think you're secretly interested :tongue: well it ain't for everyone, apparently.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    In for the excuse making that these articles inevitably inspire. Sure, I agree that you don't need to have super low BF percentage, but if you're currently at 30% then this article doesn't apply to you.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I am about 13% and would love to get to 10% ...so for me, yes it is worth it ...

Plus it is good to have goals, they keep you motivated and keep you on tract.

If you do not have goals then it makes it easier to skip a work out or eat like crap for a few days...or so I think ..
  • ggxx100
    ggxx100 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    It's a matter of personal preference. I feel my best at 15-17% body fat, so I plan to stay that way. Yes, some people may run into health concerns, i.e. women losing their period, but nothing of the sort has happened to me.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    In for the excuse making that these articles inevitably inspire. Sure, I agree that you don't need to have super low BF percentage, but if you're currently at 30% then this article doesn't apply to you.

30% is not unhealthy for a woman. It's a reasonable place to stop losing fat. Not everyone is looking for extreme leanness, which is kind of the point here.
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Interesting posts. I personally think that each of us should be lean within our own personal limits and genetics. I can't have six pack abs. Frankly, I don't really want them. They don't look cool to me and you have to have single digit body fat to own them. But I do want to be a good size and weight and have good muscle tone for me. I want to be the best me I can be.

I don't think we can use articles like these as an excuse for not being lean. But we don't want to be too lean and certainly not skinny. Skinny is unhealthy and unsexy. But each of us should be the best we can because good health is easier to maintain when our weight and body fat is on the lean side.
  • gmallan
    Options
    I am about 13% and would love to get to 10% ...so for me, yes it is worth it ...

Plus it is good to have goals, they keep you motivated and keep you on tract.

If you do not have goals then it makes it easier to skip a work out or eat like crap for a few days...or so I think ..

I think, once you get within a healthy weight range, goals that are related to performance or fitness are better than goals that are related to physique (personally I suppose). It wouldn't be worth reducing my bf% if it resulted in decreased perfomance (strength, energy, speed etc.). But then again, I play sport and that's my main focus
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Most people will not attain contest level bodyfat levels. Even if you do, you cannot hold it for long....
  • gmallan
    Options
    It's a matter of personal preference. I feel my best at 15-17% body fat, so I plan to stay that way. Yes, some people may run into health concerns, i.e. women losing their period, but nothing of the sort has happened to me.

That's the point, it really comes down to how an individual's body responds to leaning out. If you are happy and feeling good at a lower bf% then great but if you are miserable, stressed, lacking energy trying to get there or maintain it then it obviously isn't where you're meant to be.