Super Bored At Work, Feeling Down

Options
kschwab0203
kschwab0203 Posts: 610 Member
I have been bored at work for the last 2 weeks. I am soooo over it! My job can go from fast paced and busy to sitting at my desk for 8 hours with nothing to do. That saying "there is always something to do" does not apply here. I love my job (when I'm working) and my bosses but this really sucks! I'm not one to get depressed or sad but I am feeling really down today. I don't know what's bugging me. Maybe the lack of work has me feeling a little useless. Maybe I'm missing my kids. Maybe I'm a little financially overwhelmed. Who knows, but I don't like it.

What do you do when you feel like you are having an off day?

Replies

• dlhatch67
    dlhatch67 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I remember having days like that in my last job. It not only makes the day go so much slower, but brings you down because you feel useless. I used to ask my co-workers if I could help them with their projects. When that didn't work, I'd look for something to organize or make better. When I ran out of stuff to do, I started looking online for a new job. If you know there's not enough to do, your managers probably know too and it's only a matter of time before they cut the position.
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    If organization isn’t your jam, you can use this time to catch up on social things.

Email people you haven’t talked to in a while

Write letters to your grandparents out of the blue

Text your friends and tell them why you appreciate them

Plan a get-together with family or friends. Come up with a menu and games.

Plan a trip to visit distant family or friends. Even if you can’t afford it, it’s fun to plan it and look at tickets and let yourself dream.

Write a special just-because note to your kids and husband
  • caco_ethes
    Options
    LMNOP55 wrote: »
    @caco_ethes she'll need a vacation after going through your lists.

That’s the idea
  • Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options
    When I'm at work I tend to think about all the things I could be doing if I wasn't at work. That wont help with depression or sadness, in fact, it'll make it worse. So you're welcome I guess.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    I have been bored at work for the last 2 weeks. I am soooo over it! My job can go from fast paced and busy to sitting at my desk for 8 hours with nothing to do. That saying "there is always something to do" does not apply here. I love my job (when I'm working) and my bosses but this really sucks! I'm not one to get depressed or sad but I am feeling really down today. I don't know what's bugging me. Maybe the lack of work has me feeling a little useless. Maybe I'm missing my kids. Maybe I'm a little financially overwhelmed. Who knows, but I don't like it.

What do you do when you feel like you are having an off day?

taor1d9bi4je.jpg
  • Keto_N_Iron
    Keto_N_Iron Posts: 5,385 Member
    Options
    caco_ethes wrote: »
    I try to find something productive to do.

Sometimes I get really invested in silly spreadsheets but they keep me occupied.

Here are some things you could do:

Make an inventory of everything you have in your home so you’re prepared in case of a fire

Draw up a living will

Clean out your purse

Balance your checkbook

Make a to do list for at home

Make a meal plan

Make an exercise plan

Set goals and itemize steps to achieve them

Learn to solve a Rubik’s cube

Create a budget

Do a ‘brain dump’- get all your inner thoughts out on paper. There are trigger lists online

Think of disorganized areas in your home/life. Come up with a plan for organizing them. Are there things that don’t have a home so they create clutter? Google creative solutions

This should get you through to lunch.
    If organization isn’t your jam, you can use this time to catch up on social things.

Plan a trip to visit distant family or friends. Even if you can’t afford it, it’s fun to plan it and look at tickets and let yourself dream.

I'm exhausted just reading this!
  • Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options
    LMNOP55 wrote: »
    When I'm at work I tend to think about all the things I could be doing if I wasn't at work. That wont help with depression or sadness, in fact, it'll make it worse. So you're welcome I guess.

41THEuPwUFL._SY300_.jpg

I could get psychiatric help if I wasn't at work....
  • SpartanRunner1978
    SpartanRunner1978 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options

Sometimes I get really invested in silly spreadsheets but they keep me occupied.

Make an inventory of everything you have in your home so you’re prepared in case of a fire

Draw up a living will

Clean out your purse

Balance your checkbook

Make a meal plan

Make an exercise plan

Create a budget

Do a ‘brain dump’- get all your inner thoughts out on paper. There are trigger lists online

Think of disorganized areas in your home/life. Come up with a plan for organizing them. Are there things that don’t have a home so they create clutter? Google creative solutions

I bet you are never ever bored!
  • hud54014
    hud54014 Posts: 3,777 Member
    Options
    When I have serious downtime, I use it as an opportunity to take job related training. Maybe your company has a learning program that you can participate in, or you can have your boss approve some self-paced online training modules.
  • kschwab0203
    kschwab0203 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    dlhatch67 wrote: »
    I remember having days like that in my last job. It not only makes the day go so much slower, but brings you down because you feel useless. I used to ask my co-workers if I could help them with their projects. When that didn't work, I'd look for something to organize or make better. When I ran out of stuff to do, I started looking online for a new job. If you know there's not enough to do, your managers probably know too and it's only a matter of time before they cut the position.

My bosses are a husband and wife that are elderly. He is 81 and has had multiple strokes and she has terminal lung cancer. Leaving here is inevitable, but I am loyal to them and promised myself I'd see this through to the end for them.
  • caco_ethes
    Options

Draw up a living will

Clean out your purse

Balance your checkbook

Make a meal plan

Make an exercise plan

Create a budget

I bet you are never ever bored!

Only when my MIL starts talking crap about her friends :sweat_smile:
  • ChaelAZ
    ChaelAZ Posts: 2,240 Member
    Options
    People get so used to needing external challenges and stimulation, they forget how to challenge themselves and create meaning in how they live.
  • dlhatch67
    dlhatch67 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    dlhatch67 wrote: »

My bosses are a husband and wife that are elderly. He is 81 and has had multiple strokes and she has terminal lung cancer. Leaving here is inevitable, but I am loyal to them and promised myself I'd see this through to the end for them.

Kudos for being so dependable, but you also have to strike a balance between that and looking out for yourself. If the business suddenly closed due to the loss of one or both of them, would you instantly be out of a job? Could you make ends meet until you found another one?