Vegetarian Runnier -- Wanting to drop some lbs.

Options
I'v recently become a vegetarian (3 months!). It was a lifestyle choice, not a diet choice for me. However, I have my BIL's wedding coming up in November and I would like to drop the last ten pounds of my pregnancy weight. I am also training for a half marathon in September. So... I'm in need of some good healthy vegetarian advice. I'm new to all of this! Thanks.

Replies

• motherofdragons84
    motherofdragons84 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Apparently, I like to spell runner with an "i" oops!
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Not a vegetarian myself but son't eat red meat, if you haven't already you might want to check out no meat athlete. Lots of good articles and tips

http://www.nomeatathlete.com/
  • mjunga
    mjunga Posts: 2
    Options
    Hey! I've been a vegetarian for almost 5 (October is my anniversary!) I would say to steer clear of carbs, stick to more beans so that you feel full. While you can eat donuts and chips, I don't recommend it. The more vegetables you eat, the better you will feel, and the less you will weigh. I prefer salads (no cheese!!!!!) with a vinaigrette with TONS of vegetables and some garbanzo beans. If you need any help, let me know!!
  • arl1286
    arl1286 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I've been a veg for 6 years and am also training for a half in September!

What kind of advice are you looking for? I can tell you what I eat a lot of!

Lots of fruits (at least one apple and one banana per day; I love berries; AVOCADO), veggies (squash, mushrooms, tomatoes), nuts (just have to watch the calories on these!). I eat 2 or 3 eggs a day usually. I LOVE cottage cheese (and it has a huge amount of protein!).

For protein-dense meals, I incorporate beans. They have a lot of carbs but a LOT of protein and they're pretty low cal (I buy a 16 bean soup mix and I can eat 1/2 cup of DRY beans for less than 150 calories). Quinoa is also pretty good for protein.

One of my favorite post-run snacks is a green smoothie. My favorite combo is kale, banana, strawberry, blueberry, and a tiny bit of almond milk (just because regular milk sort of grosses me out; I'm sure it would be good with that also).

If you have any questions, let me know! I'm a seasoned vegetarian and a less seasoned runner (although I've been running for about a year and a half now).
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Be careful being a vegetarian runner. As a former vegetarian runner, for health reason, I use to consume a lot of popcorn and fruits. I am currently being tested for fructose malabsorption after dropping a crap load of weight.
  • happyhiker83
    Options
    I was a vegetarian for nine years. For the past six years, I've included small amounts of fish (1-2 servings per week) in my diet, but otherwise eat vegetarian or even vegan on most days. I also was a runner, until a knee injury put me out of commission.

Identify healthy vegetarian sources of protein and eat at least one serving during each meal - eggs, low-fat dairy like cottage cheese and yogurt, legumes, tofu, and nuts (in small amounts). As for carbohydrates, stick with whole grains as much as possible. They will keep you feeling full longer than white breads and pastas. Enjoy a wide variety of vegetables, both cooked and raw. A little fruit each day is good, but if you're trying to lose weight be careful. Many fruits are high in sugar and can make you feel hungrier later.

As a vegetarian, you need to make sure you're getting enough iron. Consider including iron-fortified cereals and breads in your diet. There are decent plant-based sources of iron, such as beans and soy, but they need to be combined with a source of vitamin c in order for your body to properly absorb the iron. Using cast-iron pots and pans will add significant amounts of iron into everything you cook. Don't worry too much though; just keep a varied diet rich in legumes and vegetables and you should be fine. I've been vegetarian or near-vegetarian more than half my life and have never had any kind of nutritional deficiency.

Congratulations and good luck!

P.S. Take good care of your knees!
  • motherofdragons84
    motherofdragons84 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I've been a veg for 6 years and am also training for a half in September!

What kind of advice are you looking for? I can tell you what I eat a lot of!

Lots of fruits (at least one apple and one banana per day; I love berries; AVOCADO), veggies (squash, mushrooms, tomatoes), nuts (just have to watch the calories on these!). I eat 2 or 3 eggs a day usually. I LOVE cottage cheese (and it has a huge amount of protein!).

For protein-dense meals, I incorporate beans. They have a lot of carbs but a LOT of protein and they're pretty low cal (I buy a 16 bean soup mix and I can eat 1/2 cup of DRY beans for less than 150 calories). Quinoa is also pretty good for protein.

One of my favorite post-run snacks is a green smoothie. My favorite combo is kale, banana, strawberry, blueberry, and a tiny bit of almond milk (just because regular milk sort of grosses me out; I'm sure it would be good with that also).

If you have any questions, let me know! I'm a seasoned vegetarian and a less seasoned runner (although I've been running for about a year and a half now).

Thank you!!! This actually helps a lot. I'm a seasoned runner and a less seasoned vegetarian. ;)