The Magic Pill - Netflix Doc

Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    What ever happened to eating a balanced diet? Lol I won't lie, 2 years ago I would have fell for the horse kitten.

What is a balanced diet? Do we even know anymore?
  • smithker75
    smithker75 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Not everybody thinks so highly of it: https://synapses.co.za/the-magic-pill-pete-evans-does-documentary/

Netflix "documentaries" are nothing but one-sided hack job propaganda pieces full of hype, fearmongering and pseudoscience. And this one is no exception.

I saw Pete Evens and immediately put it on my do not watch list.

I avoid anything by/promoted by the same "quack" who publishes recipes for paleo baby formula (which is actually harmful due to high levels of vitamin A in bone broth) and discourages the use of suncreen in a country with one of the highest rates of skin cancer in the world.

Okay rant over, feeling much better now o:)

100% agree. Pete Evans is a celebrity chef that pimps himself out to any product or program that fattens his bank account. Ironically, he has a pizza oven in his name...
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    sstatia wrote: »
    I've done more research since my last post and will share some info. My husband has Multiple Sclerosis. Dr. Terry Wahls is a supporter of Paleo / Keto diets (and has MS) . She went from wheelchair to riding a bicycle on the Paleo diet. We are tired of treating the symptoms, so we will do Keto diet for 6 weeks, then Paleo. If there is even a possibility that a diet change will help my husband, 'nuff said! I have always believed that if given the correct tools, the body will heal itself.

I hope a diet change helps your husband. One never knows until they try. Don't give up hope.

My interest in keto has always been health (neurological) related. I had lost already my weigh (non-keto) prior to beginning my neurological health related keto trial. Since my dystonia is one of these "no known cause, no known cure" types and there is a thought that some of it may be familial (versus genetic for my type of dystonia), the research related to Parkinson's has been of interest. I had an Aunt and a cousin (from a different aunt but same maternal side) who had Parkinson's. Both are now deceased. My Aunt's Parkinson's was incredibly slow to progress. 30-40 years maybe? My cousin's progressed much more rapidly from diagnosis. 10 years maybe? The upside of my CD/ST is it is not known to be progressive. I'm very fortunate in that respect and can't imagine the emotions that might be experienced if it were.

<3

• cherilynn8
    cherilynn8 Posts: 3 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I am on a low carb diet myself.. but support ALL diets, because what works for one, may not work for another. I didn't watch this documentary, so not sure what they said, but from personal experience, I can honestly say that my weight loss was really good.. 130 pounds down.. My blood work looks great! I was borderline diabetic but with the LC diet, I have it under control (no longer borderline so LC works for me) and my blood work improved. Once I got through the induction phase, I no longer have cravings, so it really helps me stay on the plan. I eat lots of veggies, some fruits (mostly berries and melons).. I don't eat all the meat that I want.. Some people think LC dieters eat lots of meat and fat.. I don't do that.. I keep it a moderate amount.. I LOVE carbs but just can't seem to eat them without going overboard.. My only issue is I need to exercise more!! lol
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    joemac1988 wrote: »
    ellie7187 wrote: »
    Has anyone watched the Netflix doc “The Magic Pill”?

It’s a doc about the Keto diet and it’s anecdotal (it even uses the term anecdotal in the opening) health benefits. A very interesting and compelling documentary for sure. Albeit, I’m not jumping on the Keto train because of it haha.

Made me wonder who here has seen it (and what did you think)? And for those that follow a Keto diet do you do it for weight loss or for other supposed health benefits?

And the "Dr's" quoted aren't actual medical Dr's, they're authors who wrote books on how to keto. Conflict of interest much? You'll have to pry carbs out of my cold dead hands (since I'm too strong because of all the carbs I eat to be able to take them from me while I'm alive).

No. They seem to be ph.d scientists or medical doctors. There is Nina Teicholz (spelling?) who is an author, and then there is another journalist talking about the Dr Tim Noakes trial... I may have forgotten someone. Who called themselves a doctor but wasn't?

Really, the carbs they are talking about in the film were highly processed and refined carbs. People were still eating veggies and some fruits. No one advocated removing those from a diet.

Nina Teicholz is a journalist with no medical training what so ever...her educational background is undergrad in American Studies and a masters in Latin American studies....

Yes, she's a writer. Her book Big Fat Surprise was quite good.
    joemac1988 wrote: »
    ellie7187 wrote: »
    Has anyone watched the Netflix doc “The Magic Pill”?

It’s a doc about the Keto diet and it’s anecdotal (it even uses the term anecdotal in the opening) health benefits. A very interesting and compelling documentary for sure. Albeit, I’m not jumping on the Keto train because of it haha.

Made me wonder who here has seen it (and what did you think)? And for those that follow a Keto diet do you do it for weight loss or for other supposed health benefits?

And the "Dr's" quoted aren't actual medical Dr's, they're authors who wrote books on how to keto. Conflict of interest much? You'll have to pry carbs out of my cold dead hands (since I'm too strong because of all the carbs I eat to be able to take them from me while I'm alive).

No. They seem to be ph.d scientists or medical doctors. There is Nina Teicholz (spelling?) who is an author, and then there is another journalist talking about the Dr Tim Noakes trial... I may have forgotten someone. Who called themselves a doctor but wasn't?

Really, the carbs they are talking about in the film were highly processed and refined carbs. People were still eating veggies and some fruits. No one advocated removing those from a diet.

People on keto typically have to limit their consumption of vegetables and fruits though and they're often avoiding or limiting even non-processed and refined carbohydrates like whole grains and beans. So if eating a higher level of carbohydrates is something that one finds useful or pleasant for satiety, reaching specific fitness goals, or enjoying how they taste, keto might not be the best fit.

That you can have some fruits and vegetables on keto doesn't change the fact that it's way too low for some of us to find pleasant, sustainable, or useful for fitness.

True. For many keto'ers they have no drop in vegetable consumption after dropping carbs because the bulk of their previous carbs were composed of breads, muffins, crackers, wraps, noodles, rice, sweets, some sweetened dairy products, etc. TBH, I think it is more the norm that someone who switches to keto is NOT reducing veggies and fruits; they may even be increasing it. Perhaps it is because those who are already eating a lot of whole veggies and fruits have less of a need for the health or appetite suppressing effects of keto since their diet is already quite healthful?

My diet is very high carbohydrate, including things like breads, pasta, and sweets, and there is still no version of keto (including vegan keto) where I would wind up eating more vegetables than I do now.

If people on keto do wind up increasing their fruit and vegetable consumption, it really makes me wonder if the health benefits reported by some have more to do with that than reducing carbohydrate consumption. Maybe morepeople should just focus on that instead of adopting a plan that requires limiting whole grains and beans, foods also associated with diet patterns that seem to promote health.

I think the veggie and fruit increases stem from following the old food pyramid with 6-12 servings of grains a day. If you cut that out, it leaves more room for veggies, meats, nuts and seeds.

If you want to create a large caloric deficit, cutting out grains and not replacing it, leaves you with a diet that is low carb, or closer to it depending on the fruits you choose.

You're vegetarian, I believe? You cut out meat. It makes sense that you eat more carbs (veggies, fruits and grains) than people who still include meat in their diets.

Increasing veggies and fruits means some other food is going to have to be reduced. I chose to limit grains because of my health issues and how my appetite works. Plus I believe they offer very little nutritional bang for my buck compared to veggies, nuts, and animal products. I cut my grains (and sugars).

My macro choice was health based. Not everybody needs to go low carb to feel their best.

I'm vegan. Personally, even without grains I wouldn't be low carbohydrate because I choose foods like vegetables, fruits, and beans. These supply more than enough carbohydrates to meet my energy and nutritional needs (I limited grains when I was losing weight because it was more challenging to fit them into my calorie goals and I didn't miss them much, I eat more now).

My point is that the low carbohydrate thing seems to be irrelevant to most people. If you can improve your health by avoiding consuming more energy than you need and eating more fruits and vegetables, why does keto need to be something that ordinary people should consider (as in argued in this film)?

Oops. I didn't realize you were vegan. So no meats, eggs, or dairy. That's fairly restrictive too. As a keto'er, I just really limit sugar and grains. The only foods I avoid 100% is gluten containing foods due to celiac disease.

I do completely believe your carbs meet your energy and most of your nutritional needs (beyond B12 supplementation).

The film doesn't argue that keto is something all people need. It is something that can technically help most people in North America though, since more people now have issues with insulin resistance (prediabetes, diabetes, PCOS, NAFLD, Alzheimer's; plus diseases directly affected by IR like CVD, high BP, and even some cancers) than do not. I don't think low carb is irrelevant to most. I believe the opposite - I think it could help most people. There are very few situations where trying it will hurt your health. I'm not sure that high carb diets can say the same for the majority anymore.

I feel about veganism the way (I believe) you feel about keto. While it is a restrictive diet by definition, I honestly don't miss anything (probably because I don't practice any additional restrictions like low fat, no oil, low sugar/no added sugar, or restriction of processed/refined foods). If I want something I have it, I just simply no longer desire foods of animal origin because they're ethically not acceptable to me.

I'm glad that the film doesn't recommend keto as something most people need to adopt. I was under the impression that it had a different message that it did -- that it argued for the widespread adoption of keto and spread the myth that consuming moderate or high amounts of carbohydrates was harmful in and of itself.

If you're arguing that a high carbohydrate diet will harm the majority of people -- regardless of what type of carbohydrates we're talking about -- I guess I'm going to be curious about what you're basing that statement on. Is there evidence to show this or it this a feeling that you have?
  • jclawst
    jclawst Posts: 45 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I watched one called ‘the perfect human diet’ a while back as well and it made sense and that’s been the general approach I’ve been taking. It’s kind of paleo-like in terms of food intake. I just eat as much non-processed and natural fruits and vegetables I can get, and as much non-farmed fish (pref pacific salmon and halibut) and chicken/turkey as needed for my goals. I mix in some red meat too sometimes. I try to get hormone free and organic free range when I can, but can’t afford much. If I cut down meat I will likely have to find a good natural organic or at least antibiotic/hormone free protein supplement.

I try not to pay much attention to fad diets. I know where I went wrong the past four years and simply switching to general healthy eating described above with minimal exercise has me losing weight. As I increase my exercise I’m building muscle and losing fat. I’m probably gonna have to increase my caloric intake to avoid my body going into starvation mode and screwing with my long term metabolism. I’m meeting with a nutritionist this evening so hopefully she knows her job well.