New Environment - Any ideas?

Options
Hello all,

This last April, I removed myself and my 7 year old son from a harmful/abusive environment and left my marriage. Given I'm an educator and have limited income and significant debt incurred from a former spouse that doesn't care to pay bills, I'm in a financial pickle! Because of this, as a 36 year old grown-*kitten* woman, my son and I are temporarily staying with my retired parents.

Phew. That hurt to actually type out, but its my reality for now.

Both my son and I have our own space and live independently for the most part - the exception being the kitchen. We are forced to share a kitchen and refrigerator with my parents, two individuals that apparently choose to stock their fridge to the point of bursting at any given point.

In general, I am finding it rather difficult to make use of the food they have on hand (despite being very grateful to have the access to it), and have little space to actually store my food. If it needs to be refrigerated or frozen, I typically have to order the smallest container possible and because of the space limitations, I've found myself eating foods I shouldn't probably eat.

Add to that, my mother is notorious for trying to convince me to indulge. Typically she'll say things like 'one meal won't hurt', but this is a nightly occurrence. Despite knowing I'm on a diet, I believe my parents feel offended to a degree when I do not eat their meals, and I understand they want to share and I am grateful.

How can I balance the foods they provide (imagine typical home style comfort foods), while maintaining a diet? How can I explain what I can't eat without offending them as I feel like I'm failing so far? Do any of you have any creative options for what to do when there is limited space for food storage that doesn't include eating out?

Thanks in advance for all your feedback!

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    You could just shop at the grocery each day for whatever you will eat that night.

You could eat the food provided, but in small portions that fit your calorie goals.

You could try intermittent fasting or OMAD (one meal a day) so that your evening meal can have a whole day's worth of calories (and would probably make your parents ecstatic).

You could calorie cycle so that you eat with them every other day or a couple days a week (high calorie days) and then eat your own food on the other days in the week (low calorie days).

For what it's worth -
    My parents are the same way - they have a huge oversized refrigerator and huge oversized freezer and both are constantly slam full...there are only 2 people living there...I don't get it.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,464 Member
    Options
    Is there a space for another small fridge? Or as suggested, shop everyday. But what’s needed is veggies. Add them to every meal. Heat them up in the microwave.

It will keep you out of the situation of turning down what your folks are offering. You’re just adding something.

Keep in mind, no one can push your button like your folks. Not necessarily intentional, just how it is.
  • MorningGrace73
    MorningGrace73 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hello! Thanks so much for the feedback so far! The only thing that's kept me from grocery shopping on a daily basis or even a few times a day is simply time. I already get up at 4:45am to allow myself enough time to get to the gym and ready for the day, my lunch is usually spent with the kiddo and by 5pm the last thing I want to do is hit a grocery store. That being said, I can make that a priority and will. I already typically do IF, and I've considered OMAD for just that reason, actually!

I might do another small fridge though too, especially given its the end of the school year and there's college students looking to get rid of theirs, no doubt.

Thanks to each of you!
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest a mini-fridge, so if you can do that it would help.

Also, just be very straightforward with your parents that you are very grateful and that you understand they want to share their meals with you, but that you have personal health goals right now and need to change your meals slightly. It will take time and consistency but they'll get it eventually.

Good luck and good for you for getting out of a bad situation!